How big is too big?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How big is too big?

I was looking at getting some new broadheads, more specifically I have had my eyes on the Simmons broadheads and the Centaur broadheads. The Battle Axe from Centaur Archery is a whopping 2 1/8" cut.

I am shooting a 60# longbow and I draw 28"(Sarrels Blueridge S/R) and a 640 grain arrow with 23% FOC(Beman Classic 400's 30" 100gr insert and 210grain tip with wraps) I also only hunt deer and hogs.

I have seen many people suggest the min size head they would shoot, just wondering how big is too big?

Fixing to order me some Battle Axe heads , you can never go to big ( GO BIG OR GO HOME )
    You should be fine with your set-up , I have shot the TreeSharks for the last year and love em. It all comes down to a bad shot is a bad shot no matter the head , I think the more weight you shoot helps get those big heads deeper in critters , cant wait to get my Axes in,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sam,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Comment

Were the tree sharks quiet in flight? I am also wanting to be able to get good penetration on a big hog if one shows up. I don't want to have to shoot seperate heads because of necessity, different heads due to cost is a different story.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Comment

Mine dont make any noise in flight just a loud crack when they hit , I havent had any issues with getting them into critters yet. But like I said a bad shot is a bad shot I shot a good size sow this morning and blew clean through her and stuck in a stump about 7yds the other side of her.
        ,,,,,Sam,,,,,,

Comment

Thats what I like to hear!

Comment

My findings are small compared to Dr Ashby's, But 2 blade heads don't seem to be an issue. With 3 blades how ever, Momentum comes into play and will to some degree impede penetration due to the angles and the third cutting axis.

That's probably why you don't see large cutting diameters on 3 blade heads, actually just the opposite for 3 and 4 blade heads. (discounting bleeder blades of course)

Comment

Also how hard are the sharks to sharpen? I have never tried to sharpen anything of that shape. I have a bench grinder with the sharpening system and I can sharpen anything straight or convex easily, but the concave shape seems to appear to be a little more challenging.

Comment

I killed the hog lastnight with my 55# bow and my arrows are right around 525 grains. I have been shooting them for last year and they fly great also are very silent, until they hit!

Comment

pass through? What size pig?

Comment

Best thing I found to sharpen the sharks is a triangle file, fine single cut they are 1/2 wide and easy to follow the curve, it's what I use.

Comment

The one I just posted this morning. No I didnt get a passthru, but it was a heck of a blood trail and only went 40 to 50 yards. I'm going to try and get a couple pigs from my ground blind to do some more "field testing"

Comment

Two blades 160 grains from a Thunderstick MOAB 63-64# all pass through. 250#ish sow with a 150 grain Snuffer and the arrow was pulled out by the first Cedar bush she ran past. She went about 40 yards with a blood trail Ray Charles could follow in the dark. Really like the Ribtek, STOS and Magnus Mag I performance, but might use more Snuffers on hogs.

Comment

I have yet to stick through both sides of a hog with the tree sharks or introceptors. I went up with my arrow weight and shot a pig with a ace and blew through both sides. I'm gonna shoot a pig with my tree shark now that I went up a little in arrow weight and see what difference that makes.

Comment

arent you around 600 now in arrow weight?

Comment

Size isn't everything. But when it comes to arrow weight I like 10-12 grains per pound. A wide head is also a good choice.

Comment

Working...
                              X