How fast do your Trad Bows shoot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How fast do your Trad Bows shoot?

How fast do most of your Trad Bows shoot? I shoot woodies and my Flat Bow from David Oakes shoots around 165-168 fps. The bow is 58lbs at 28" and I draw to 30". How does that sound?

That sounds just fine. You really can't compare unless you know how many grains per pound (gpp) of draw weight your arrow weighs. I shoot a Sarrles Blueridge takedown r/d longbow. My bow shoots 10gpp arrows at 177fps. From my experience, flat bows are generally a bit slower than r/d bows but that has a lot to do with the design of the individual bow (there are exceptions to every rule). To me speed is really a moot point. If I pick up a bow and it hits where I look, I don't worry too much about how fast it is. I hunt at close distance (usually under 15yds) so speed is of little consequence.

As long as you can hit where you are looking that is what matters.

Bisch

Comment

Sarrels Superstition
      45 lbs @ 29"
      505 grain arrow - 10.9 gpp - 172 fps

Comment

currently I have no clue.. although I could walk out into the shop this evening and shoot through the chrono if it's important to you...

Comment

Sarrels Superstition 52# @ 28", 27"draw length and 3 rivers trad only 500's w/ 125 gr. points. I think the total arrow weight is/was around 420. My Blackhills II seems to be a bit faster but I haven't chrono'd it. My Damon Howatt Super Diablo 55# recurve shoots around 210fps with Gold Tip Traditionals and 190grs up front. I am more accurate with the BH II.
          Additional speed only means that I can miss faster.
          Attached Files

Comment

I have a probably dumb question, please.
            How much does draw weight affect speed?
            IOW, if a person draws 70# (e.g., Buff types ), does that necessarily translate into greater speed?
            I went up slightly in draw weight with my new longbow and my arrows DO fly flatter and (seems to us) faster.

Comment

21st CENTURY Longbow

65# @ 26in.

204 fps. w/ wood

It’s really a moot point…

DEER DON’T CARE HOW FAST YOU MISS…

Comment

Originally posted by M-2 View Post
                I have a probably dumb question, please.
                How much does draw weight affect speed?
                IOW, if a person draws 70# (e.g., Buff types ), does that necessarily translate into greater speed?
                I went up slightly in draw weight with my new longbow and my arrows DO fly flatter and (seems to us) faster.
                you really don't pick up much speed.
                I shoot 600 grain arrows from a 60# bow, 725 grain arrows from a 74# bow and they both cast the same.
                That said I don't own a conograph. I did shoot a dart system in Montana. it said I was getting between 189 and 192 pretty much every shot with my 74#

Comment

I don't have any clue how fast mine is, but it's OK for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                    you really don't pick up much speed.
                    I shoot 600 grain arrows from a 60# bow, 725 grain arrows from a 74# bow and they both cast the same.
                    That said I don't own a conograph. I did shoot a dart system in Montana. it said I was getting between 189 and 192 pretty much every shot with my 74#
                    Got it, thanks, Buff.

Comment

Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. SPD: 185 fps. GPP: 10.02

Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. SPD: 174 fps. GPP: 11.37

Comment

My 49# at 28" selfbow is about that fast, I don't know. It will cast 500 gn. arrow about a 165 yds.

Comment

Massie Longhorn 50# @ 28" - 28.5" 350 gr arrow --- 174 fps.

Comment

Originally posted by Target-panic View Post
                            Massie Longhorn 50# @ 28" - 28.5" 350 gr arrow --- 174 fps.
                            Why are you slowing that Massie Longhorn down???

Comment

I'm not exactly sure since I've never shot through a chrono. Plugging it into calculators shows 178-179 fps. Other guys shooting my same set up are reporting low 180s.

I could care less as long as they go where they're supposed to.

For what it's worth, I suspect I'm shooting mid 170s after my release. I'm shooting a 64" Toelke Whip about 45#s. 478 grain carbon arrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X