shooting distance on deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shooting distance on deer

What is your max distance on deer with traditional gear? Also, what has the average distance of your hunting shots been? Thanks guys.

-CH

I been told many times, "you judge the distance that you can harvest the animal" meaning practice and if you are efficient ar x yards set up for that distance. My trad set ups are 15 yards.

Comment

I shoot a hoyt magnatec and I can put a nice group at 40 yards but I don't think I would try to hit a dear at that. I am setting my feeder at 20 yards. When I'm Target shooting my heart rat isn't going 90mph

Comment

the shooting lanes out of all 5 of my stands are 25 yards max. the last 15 or so critters harvested have been under 12 yards.. except one that was around 23.
        shoot what your comfortable with and proficient

Comment

The longer I shoot trad, the more I realize what they mean when they say you don't judge yardage...you just feel like you can make the shot or you feel like you can't.

Most of our set ups are 15-20 yds, but I fully expect animals to be within 10 yds. I know I can do 10-15 yds. Just can't blow it once the time comes.

I tried actually hunting with trad equipment for the first time last year. I haven't felt like that since I shot my first deer when I was 9. Seriously, nothing else compares. This year I sold my compound and I'm 100% trad.

Comment

I have become very comfortable with anything 20 yards and under over the years. I practice out to 40, but at that range the arrow is in the air a very long time. Even with a perfect shot, the animal may move out of free will, they aren't staked to the ground like our 3D targets....,

Comment

15 yards or less, its not how far for me but how close, feel the rush!

Comment

My longest was a very calm deer @ 23 yards but all of the others have been under 20, seems like 16-17 has been common for me.

Comment

I like at least 15 feet.. that gives the arrow time to recover from paradox, giving it the best penetration potential...

Comment

I have been fortunate to kill several animals over the years and my average distance was probably 17-18 yards. With traditional equipment, I'd say inside of 15 yards would be fine for me.

Comment

it really is all about the feel.
                      I have pasdt up shots at 10 that didn't feel right, then latter that day killed stuff at 40.
                      Average is about 10

Comment

30yds max........... 50yd prctice at home makes the 30 yarders look like chip shots....however they are always easier when your heart isnt beatin in your ears!!!

Comment

Most of mine are 12-15 with quite a few closer than 12 and a very few farther than 15.

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by texas1 View Post
                            I shoot a hoyt magnatec and I can put a nice group at 40 yards but I don't think I would try to hit a dear at that. I am setting my feeder at 20 yards. When I'm Target shooting my heart rat isn't going 90mph
                            Originally posted by CRTR_GTR View Post
                            30yds max........... 50yd prctice at home makes the 30 yarders look like chip shots....however they are always easier when your heart isnt beatin in your ears!!!
                            He's asking about traditional gear with no sights.

Bisch

Comment

25 yds and under is it for me. Anything beyond that and I feel like my arrow is just moving too slow and the deer has too much time to react. I don't practice beyond that point.

Comment

Working...
                              X