Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the fastest TD Recurve out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the fastest TD Recurve out there?

I won my Hatfield (62" and 50# @ 28") with a $5 raffle ticket in 2000, and it is essentially the only bow I have shot since.

Everyone I have ever shot 3D with says my bow is very fast and in comparison with what I see other people shooting, I agree. I assume it’s speed is a function of it’s relatively short limbs attached to a relatively long riser (19¾”).

For various reasons, I only started to learn to shoot correctly, accurately, and instinctively (although others are telling me on another thread that I really gap shoot) in 2006. Since learning to shoot instinctively (and well), I am very afraid to change anything. I have been known to use the same glove, hat, and string way beyond the point of them being "hole having", thread-bare, and frayed to the point of being dangerous (in the case of the string).

Since I do rely on my brain being trained to shoot one bow instinctively, I only shoot one bow. My problem is that Martin (Damon-Howatt) no longer makes the Hatfield Take-Down. I've been shooting mine for 11 years and I know the limbs are not going to last forever. I did contact Martin and they will make another set of limbs for me, but I'd have to send them my riser and go through one of their dealers. The cost for them to make another set would be $470 plus a dealer's mark-up. The bigger problem is that I would be without a bow to shoot for at least a couple of months.

I prefer a take-down for the center mass/ stability it gives (and again because it is essentially the only bow I have shot for 11 years). I have shot a couple of other custom take-down recurves for just a few shots, and have found they are not nearly as fast and do not shoot nearly as flat an arrow.

Since I’m going to have to make a bow change at some point in the future, what are your opinions regarding which bow is the fastest bow that is most like my beloved Hatfield and that will confuse my instinctive-shooting-lizard-brain the least. Oh yeah, I’ve also never felt/ held another grip that feels as natural to me as the low/ fat grip on my Hatfield.

One other thing I almost forgot. I could go up in poundage to gain speed and my arm and back could handle a few more pounds, but my pulling shoulder couldn’t. I do dumbbell curls every other day now as a means of improving/ maintaining the stability / flexibility of an already bad shoulder. At my age (60) I should be considering going down in weight rather than up.

Thanks in advance for your help and opinions,

Dusty

Well i know how ya feel about having to change bows and setups, I have a Boblee takedown bow that i absolutely love but you know eventually something may happen to the limbs and you have to get a new bow or new limbs. I feel that Boblee shoot pretty fast, and my arrow seems to have a incredible flat arrow flight even at long distances. I looked up a picture of your bow didnt know what it looked like and the handle is closely similiar to the boblee, my opinion the Boblee grips are perfect you really cant grip them wrong. Its hard to know what to do, but i gave you my opinion hope that helps. Having said that i have a 64" 53#@28 Boblee for sale it has a 19" riser like your bow and is a smooth drawing bow and can fling an arrow pretty fast. The 64" you may lose a little speed compared to your other bow not sure, but that length really makes 53# seem like nothing when you are pulling it back.

Comment

Not sure about you original question, but my suggestion is, "If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mac... View Post
        "If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it!"
        I agree completely and am a strong advocate of same, however I'm trying to get ahead of the curve of the eventuality of when "it is broke".

It's not that dissimilar to my line of work which is developing coatings formulations for viability with future environmental regulation changes.

And thank you Caleb for your suggestion. I haven't tried Bob Lee yet and will plan on it.

Comment

Good question. Will be following to see what's said here.

Comment

fastest i have heard is the belcher patriot with his ssr limbs. says the ammo is 247fps. he has video of them using the crono

Comment

Get a New Hatfield or a set of limbs, If it works work with it. Personally I have had 4 Bob Lee bows and while He makes a fine bow and are great folks to deal with I could never get the grip right. I would buy one try to make it work only to sell it and buy another later because I like the looks of the bow. On recurves these days I like a Bear#1 grip or a longbow style. Of course if you feel the need to change shoot as many bows as you can, if i remember that Hatfield grip is a lot like the Bear Super Kodiak

Comment

Originally posted by BIG_B View Post
                fastest i have heard is the belcher patriot with his ssr limbs. says the ammo is 247fps. he has video of them using the crono
                Now that is fast! Actually they are claiming 254 fps but w/ 350 grain arrows. I'll stay with my same target arrows as hunting arrows (around 500 grains).

Thanks for the info. I'd never heard of Belcher and looked at their site. Their grip does look doable.

Comment

Dusty see if Bob S. will make you a copy of your bow.

Comment

Originally posted by Restless View Post
                    Get a New Hatfield or a set of limbs, If it works work with it. Personally I have had 4 Bob Lee bows and while He makes a fine bow and are great folks to deal with I could never get the grip right. I would buy one try to make it work only to sell it and buy another later because I like the looks of the bow. On recurves these days I like a Bear#1 grip or a longbow style. Of course if you feel the need to change shoot as many bows as you can, if i remember that Hatfield grip is a lot like the Bear Super Kodiak
                    They don't make the Hatfield any more or I would. Yes, I think the grip is a lot like the Super Kodiak. The Bear Take Down is probably worth a look too. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by fletcherfor2 View Post
                      Now that is fast! Actually they are claiming 254 fps but w/ 350 grain arrows. I'll stay with my same target arrows as hunting arrows (around 500 grains).

Thanks for the info. I'd never heard of Belcher and looked at their site. Their grip does look doable.
                      They were testing the IBO speed and that is a bit confusing. Most bows are tested under AMO for trad gear. If you listen to the bow in the video it sounds like it is about to blow up. Probabbly not something you or I want to try. Also as a general rule remember with speed comes instability. Most super fast bows become hard to tune and shoot accurately. I know that statement may raise some eyebrows but please consider that I work with some of the best bowyers out there and most all of them agree with that statement. Good luck in finding the bow that is comfortable in your hand and shoots well for you. The most important things..

Comment

Originally posted by widdler View Post
                        Dusty see if Bob S. will make you a copy of your bow.
                        Actually Rick, I was wondering if Bob would consider trying to copy my limbs. I wouldn't expect him to be interested in a one-off attempt at copying the riser too.

I know Robert Lutkenhouse has been fooling around with a one piece recurve with a 20" riser and is contemplating a take-down version. I haven't shot either yet though.

Comment

Originally posted by rubydog View Post
                          They were testing the IBO speed and that is a bit confusing. Most bows are tested under AMO for trad gear. If you listen to the bow in the video it sounds like it is about to blow up. Probabbly not something you or I want to try. Also as a general rule remember with speed comes instability. Most super fast bows become hard to tune and shoot accurately. I know that statement may raise some eyebrows but please consider that I work with some of the best bowyers out there and most all of them agree with that statement. Good luck in finding the bow that is comfortable in your hand and shoots well for you. The most important things..
                          Agreed on both counts Terry. Yep, I probably didn't ask the question right. I don't think I'd be too interested in a bow "quite" that fast either.

Comment

I'm not cocerned over FPS since I use heaver arrows weighing 610 grns, if I wanted speed I would still be shooting a compound.

Comment

Originally posted by fletcherfor2 View Post
                              Agreed on both counts Terry. Yep, I probably didn't ask the question right. I don't think I'd be too interested in a bow "quite" that fast either.
                              I understand completly. The older you get the slower you toodle through the course too.

Comment

Working...
                              X