Hoyt Dorado off the shelf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hoyt Dorado off the shelf

How many Trad shooters hee have experimented with the Hoyt Dorado? Do you shoot off the shelf? If you shoot off the shelf what material did you use to align the centershot for arrow clearance? Do you shoot off a flipper rest? Do you shoot off a prong/cushion plunger set up? Looking for some serious help please.

Thanks and looking forward to feedback and pics if possible.

I don't have much experience except that the dorado is not made to shoot off of the shelf. To shoot off of the shelf you would have to build out the sight window to at least 3/16 past center. I can be done but you gotta have some know how. As far as rest go I have no clue.

Comment

I didn't take the time to look at a Dorado rest, but wouldn't a feather rest like this one work?

Actually I just did and don't see why it wouldn't work.

It's TBoT legal too.

Comment

Chew shot one for a while send him a PM

Comment

I also think the shelf is cut pasted center so you can us a plunger type rest . I could be wrong try it let us know what happens .

Comment

why are you wanting to shoot it off the self instead of the rest? i shoot mine off of the rest and i love it its not as picky about fletching choice and is really accurate.

Comment

here is what i use (ignore the background it was just luck but its why i have to pict)
              Attached Files

Comment

Charles, I got the best results with mine using stick on velcro patches. I built it out off the riser by placing a few toothpicks (halfs) behind the velcro. It felt better to me shooting off the shelf but as stated above the little rest works good. I just didn't like using it.

Comment

Originally posted by fletcherfor2 View Post
                  I didn't take the time to look at a Dorado rest, but wouldn't a feather rest like this one work?

Actually I just did and don't see why it wouldn't work.

It's TBoT legal too.
                  I am not sure what I am looking at from that pic, can you help me out. I called Hoyt last week and they sent me some nice velcro material that was built up for the side and not for the bottom, (should be TBOT Legal as well) started experimenting last night, ditched the cushion plunger, ditched the half prong set up that supports it, stripped 3 arrows from the 5" low pro vanes and refleted with 4" parabolic feathers, will post pics tonight after work. thanks for the suggestion and if you have time please explain the setup in the link you sent me to please.

Thanks for all the help, I APPRECIATE IT
                  Last edited by Oneway; 08-30-2011, 10:38 AM.

Comment

I have one that I have always just shot off the shelf. I bought a stick on leather pad, semi-firm, from Three Rivers with a felt piece on the riser.

Since I don't know any better , it shot where I was looking.

I don't shoot it much anymore, because i shoot my Tolke recurve and Sarrels LB, but I shot it some Saturday and it still shoots good.

Comment

Originally posted by Oneway View Post
                      I am not sure what I am looking at from that pic, can you help me out. I called Hoyt last week and they sent me some nice velcro material that was built up for the side and not for the bottom, (should be TBOT Legal as well) started experimenting last night, ditched the cushion plunger, ditched the half prong set up that supports it, stripped 3 arrows from the 5" low pro vanes and refleted with 4" parabolic feathers, will post pics tonight after work. thanks for the suggestion and if you have time please explain the setup in the link you sent me to please.

Thanks for all the help, I APPRECIATE IT
                      Charles, I understand your confusion. That picture on 3Rivers is not a very good one. Here's a little better picture.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Really all it basically is is several feathers lined up parallel to each other vertically to raise and support the arrow off of the shelf (but it's attached to the shelf and is not elevated). The inner feathers are shorter than the outer feathers so as to channel and somewhat guide the arrow shaft along the feather rest.

Several on here just use the velcro loop part of velcro to do essentially the same thing, but the velcro then is just a pad and doesn't channel the arrow shaft along.

I hope this makes some sense along with the pictures. Buy one and it will be self explanatory. They're real cheap anyway.

And yes, velcro to build out the shelf side wall plate would probably work well.

Dusty

Comment

Originally posted by fletcherfor2 View Post
                        Charles, I understand your confusion. That picture on 3Rivers is not a very good one. Here's a little better picture.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Really all it basically is is several feathers lined up parallel to each other vertically to raise and support the arrow off of the shelf (but it's attached to the shelf and is not elevated). The inner feathers are shorter than the outer feathers so as to channel and somewhat guide the arrow shaft along the feather rest.

Several on here just use the velcro loop part of velcro to do essentially the same thing, but the velcro then is just a pad and doesn't channel the arrow shaft along.

I hope this makes some sense along with the pictures. Buy one and it will be self explanatory. They're real cheap anyway.

And yes, velcro to build out the shelf side wall plate would probably work well.

Dusty
                        Yes this pic is a lot better, THANK YOU very much, After purchasing my Autumn Orange Hunter Sarrels Longbow, I decided to strip my Hoyt down and go to work, I will probably be asking for lots of help. (stumpshooter) came over last night and helped me along as well. I can't wait. Will post pics of the new setup on the Hoyt and when BOB SARRELS finally...........! gets my pretty orange barred arrows to me I will post pics of it as well.

At our regular club shoot this past Sat we had 8 in the Trad group!

Comment

Charles, you doing better than me. I am the only guy in our club that shows up with trad equipment

Comment

Originally posted by Ron View Post
                            Charles, you doing better than me. I am the only guy in our club that shows up with trad equipment
                            Ron, you need to hone those marketing skills and pull'em in! At least you are leading the Pack Brother!

Comment

Yep, I have a Dorado and shoot off of the rest. Just take a piece of thick carpet felt and put it where you would the shelf and window pad. I picked up a couple pieces at walmart where they keep their hardware. It's self adhesive on one side. It's pretty thick and works perfect! Found out about it on some other forums.

Last edited by Savage; 08-30-2011, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X