Fletchings hitting my hand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fletchings hitting my hand?

Some times when I shoot a fletching hits my index finger. Cuts my hand and is causing me to adjust my grip which changes aim. It's not all the time. Haven't thought of it till now but y'all thnk I should see if it's just a certain arrow and play with the knock. Is it the grip on my new bow? Any of y'all have any advise. Was Thinking of getting a tennis wrap if needed to assure my grip is same all the time. Worse case I will have to look for another bow

If your new bow is the one yo got from Bob it is not a problem with the bow.

Bisch

Comment

post a photo of you shooting your bow from the side so I can see your grip..

If I had to guess sight unseen, I'd guess that sometimes you point your finger...

Comment

My hand sits literally less then an 1/8" under my arrow and clearance is not an issue.... Sounds like you have tuning issues to me...

Comment

Just for argument sake try and turn your cock feather in and see if that helps..

Comment

I had a Horne recurve one time that did the same thing, only it was on nearly every shot. Had lots of blood on those arrows, mine!!lol Tried everything but never got it staightened out. A young youth minister was out at my house watching a friend of his shoot and wanted to try. I handed him the bow and it never touched him, not once! He and his wife helped me through a very hard time in my life about 6 months later and shortly afterwards moved, that bow made the trip with him to Alabama.

Comment

Ya this only happens about 1 n 6 times. Not often but enough to make me focus more on that then my shot. I will try the nock n thng Tuesday

Comment

Take a real fine file and run it across the front part of the hen feather and knock off the burr thats causing your feather to brush your hand. Or do what Terry said and rotate your cock feather. I used to have that problem every now and then. Now I shoot with my cock feather up and it hasnt happened since.

Shawn

Comment

Raise your nocking point.

Comment

I was gona say what Lewis said I have my nocking point 1/2" above center. If it is to low the arrow dips down before leaving the bow.

Comment

That's happened to me when shooting a selfbow off the knuckle and once when shooting a different longbow off shelf. Both times it was because the front edge of the quill was slightly raised up, so it would catch on my skin cutting me. I don't know if that's what's causing your problem, but if so, you can easily fix it by turning the cock-feather in or tying the front quill down tight along the shaft using some thread or synthetic sinew.

Comment

If it is the quill you can take a sharp razor blade and trim the front at a shallow angle then apply a drop of fletching glue over it...

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Javi Cooper View Post
                          If it is the quill you can take a sharp razor blade and trim the front at a shallow angle then apply a drop of fletching glue over it...
                          Yep, I do this with all of my arrows. Never had a quill cut me.

Comment

I was told that right wing feathers for a right hand shooter would sometimes cause that problem. The curve of the feathers and a high grip would cause cut fingers. Same with left wing and a left hand shooter. Just a thought...

Comment

thanks for al the feed back. seems there are several things you brought up i may need to look at. each one is a possibility.

Comment

Working...
                              X