My New Lutkenhaus Custom Longbow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fletcherfor2 View Post
    That is correct. In fact, that is the very bow that Mary shot so well "right out of the box" at the Cinnamon Creek TBoT last April.
    I don't know if it was me...or the bow (most likely bow ), but I did LOVE shooting it... quite a bit!!!

Comment

Nice..

Comment

Originally posted by rubydog View Post
        Nice..
        Shouldn't you be in bed?

Bisch

Comment

Shouldn't you both be in bed?

Comment

Originally posted by M-2 View Post
            Public shout out to Trad Doc - he has some turquoise arrow wraps he wants to send me to try! Of course, FF2 will have the final say on using them or not, but maybe he can do at least one dozen that way (he's never used wraps before).
            Hey Martha, this is Ed (the skinny dude that shot with y'all at Denton and borrowed Dusty's book). Anyway, I've done wraps before, and they're super easy if you use a mouse pad to lay the decal on while you roll the shaft onto it. The hardest part is just lining up the decal with the glue side up so that you can roll the shaft on it fairly straight, and even that is pretty easy. There should be a video on youtube that shows how easy it is to do them. There might also be one on www.onestringer.com . Anyway, if you or Dusty have any questions on how to do them, let me know, and I can PM you my number.

Also, I found these while doing a google search for turqoise feathers, but looks like you still have to cut and grind the quill part and chop or burn the feather to the shape you like:

They have left-wing feathers, too.

Comment

Thanks Ed.

I might as well just go all the way and kill my own a Bird of Paradise.
              (I'm refering to your link to the turquois feathers.)

Dusty
              Last edited by fletcherfor2; 08-23-2011, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Here are a few youtube vids I found, Dusty:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5zqY76Cyug"]How To Install Arrow Wraps on carbon arrows - YouTube[/ame]
                [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKPJ5lgihyQ"]arrow wrap - YouTube[/ame]

Also, I always put the decal right on the edge of the mouse pad to make sure it's more fully aligned and straight. I also put it kind of up in the middle so I can start rolling the shaft along a little before it goes onto the decal.

The only problems I ever had with them was when I used some spare wraps meant for a 2016 on a 2117 shaft, and the wrap didn't go completely around the shaft. So there was a teeny, 1/16" gap or so, but it's not too noticeable from a distance.

Comment

Originally posted by equin View Post
                  Hey Martha, this is Ed (the skinny dude that shot with y'all at Denton and borrowed Dusty's book). Anyway, I've done wraps before, and they're super easy if you use a mouse pad to lay the decal on while you roll the shaft onto it. The hardest part is just lining up the decal with the glue side up so that you can roll the shaft on it fairly straight, and even that is pretty easy. There should be a video on youtube that shows how easy it is to do them. There might also be one on www.onestringer.com . Anyway, if you or Dusty have any questions on how to do them, let me know, and I can PM you my number.

Also, I found these while doing a google search for turqoise feathers, but looks like you still have to cut and grind the quill part and chop or burn the feather to the shape you like:

They have left-wing feathers, too.
                  Ed/equin - you do not need to remind either me or Dusty of who you are - we remember you fondly! . You are so sweet to offer help with the wraps - thank you. The mouse pad sounds like a good idea (providing a little "give"). I won't, however, be doing them since there is only one fletcher in the house and he does it for two . Dusty will appreciate the offer, though! And I also found those same turquoise feathers (believe you me, I Googled HARD to find any, lol). I'm thinking it's not THAT important to me to have that color cock feather when I consider the labor intensity involved...And anyway, the more I look at the bow, the more teal it looks...not as much turquoise (more greenish than bluish). Maybe we'll have better luck with teal feathers (ha!)
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	teal.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	3.1 KB
ID:	24010516
                  Last edited by M-2; 08-23-2011, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I have fond memories of that shoot as well. Just wasn't sure if you knew it was me behind the screen name!

Anyway, I, too, had done some googling because I had been wanting turquoise feathers to do some kind of southwestern Native American themed arrows. Those blue turquoise ones were the only ones I found although I was also looking for green turquoise. If I ever find any green turquoise, I'll let you know!

And yes, the mouse pad is the way to go with the wraps! I also found it easier to use the fletch tape with wraps, no matter the shaft material. Only thing with wraps, though, is that you're limited to the designs sold on the market, unless you try to order some custom ones. Whereas with a cresting machine and dipping tubes, I suppose the only limitations would be the paint and one's cresting skills. Since I have no machine or dipping tubes, much less painting skills, it's wraps for me!

Comment

Congradulations!
                      Bobby makes a fine bow, I am fortunate to possess two and they are first class all the way.
                      Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by txchuck View Post
                        Congradulations!
                        Bobby makes a fine bow, I am fortunate to possess two and they are first class all the way.
                        Chuck
                        Thanks, Chuck! And aside from it being pretty, it has inspired me to PRACTICE. So far this week, I haven't missed an afternoon

Comment

Martha i missed this when you posted it. that is another beautiful preditor longbow and i cant wait to get out on the range with you and Dusty and watch it send some arrows at some targets

Comment

Originally posted by moah View Post
                            Martha i missed this when you posted it. that is another beautiful preditor longbow and i cant wait to get out on the range with you and Dusty and watch it send some arrows at some targets
                            It IS beautiful, isn't it Todd??
                            I love it.
                            I'm taking two steps forward and one back at present, but I'm pretty confident I will be improving...I won't be beating any of the Trad Divas, but like I said earlier in the thread, I hope to improve on my crapola scores, lol.
                            I can't use cataracts or surgery for excuses next season

Comment

Martha, sorry i'm just now seeing this, but the directions were on the back of the product description thingy. I use a mouse pad and lay a sheet down face down and catch the corner of a wrap with the tip of my knife to get it started peeling off and just pull on the big sheet til the wrap is off. Be sure just to use the tip of your knife as these things are really sticky. Then just line your arrow up with the edge of the wrap and gently roll it across. Be sure to see which end you want for the top and be sure to check each wrap so you don't flip flop one ( don't ask me how I know about this). Good luck!

Comment

Thanks Larry,

I've been playing with various lengths on Martha's old arrows out of her new bow. I think we've got her wood worked out and will be playing with the aluminum next.

I needed to work out the right length for her before making some new arrows. I'll be trying the wraps you sent her before too much longer.

Dusty

Comment

Working...
                                X