I was asked how I shoot a bow...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was asked how I shoot a bow...

So I thought about it and this is how I shoot...

Everyone’s shot process is going to be a bit different, the main thing you want to do is develop a series of processes that you can easily repeat in a stress situation.

Start with addressing the target.. This can mean a lot of things but for me it is identifying and deciding on the spot I want to hit.

Then arrange my body so that I have the best possible platform to shoot from with the least body tension, this can vary greatly with the terrain and situation.

I want to feel the nock as it slides on the string and if it doesn’t feel right I will not shoot that arrow.

I want to put my hand in the bow handle exactly the same each time. It is surprising how much this has to do with accuracy.

I feel my fingers wrap around the bow string fitting into a familiar place each time.

As I raise the bow I feel my shoulder drop down and my arm extended but no tension in the muscles or elbow.

As I rotate my upper body back to parallel to my hips and knees (if situational positioning allow) I feel my drawing arm scapular drop into position and the load of the bow is solely on the back, my arms are relaxed with no muscle tension… I’ve felt the string roll a bit as I drew, settling the arrow tight against the strike plate and fitting into the groove in my fingertips.

As I reach full draw the string settles into a familiar place against my nose and my index finger finds its place on my upper eyetooth, at this point I continue to pull feeling the load in my back as my focus falls entirely to the small spot I’ve picked as my target, my eyes, my thoughts are all focused on that spot as I release the final bit of tension in the back of my hand and fingers I feel the string rip from my finger tips and the brush of those fingers against my cheek and finally to my shoulder..

My eyes have never left the spot I want the arrow to hit, as I keep my focus on that spot the arrow appears and I see the last few feet of its flight as if in my peripheral vision, my head has not moved, my eyes have not wandered, my bow arm has recoiled from the load but I have not lowered it or looked away from the spot I wanted to hit..

As I see the arrow sink into my target I think… that felt right…

Pretty much just how I do it.

Comment

That is a great and detailed description of using proper form. Especially the notes on shooting with as little tension as possible, just enough to control the shot and keeping focus on the spot until after the arrow hits. It's surprising how much the arrow flight can be affected by taking your eyes off the spot early, or moving the bow. A shooter might think that the arrow is gone but it takes very little movement to change the arrows flight path.

I think that focussing strictly on form, shooting a blank bale can really help my shooting when it comes to shooting at a target. Feel the shot and train your muscles to be consistent with each shot.

TomBow

Comment

One of the greatest problems folks have is trying to peek their shot. They think the arrow is gone when it simply is not. I try to have my bow arm still out in position when I see the arrow in the target. Naturally, this does not always happen.

Comment

Working...
        X