Flemish waxing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flemish waxing

I know with an endless loop string you only wax the non serving wrapped areas. My question is on a Flemish-twist string do you wax the whole string (except the serving in the middle of the string) including the looped ends?

When the string is being made, it is waxed from end to end, but you don't want to add a lot of wax in the loops, in fact, the video instructions for making a flemish string says to wash the wax out of the loops with laquer thinner or alcohol or something like that, if I remember correctly. Its been a long time since I watched the video, but that's what I recall. If you have too much wax in the loops, it makes the string sorta sticky and it becomes noisy.

Wayne

Comment

Just wax everything you can get to, except the served area in the middle, with the bow strung up.

Bisch

Comment

Thanks guys! I just put a new Flemish-twist fast flight string on tonight and was not familiar with this aspect of it.

Comment

If you got a new string you should not have to wax it for a while. A lot of wax goes on the string when it is made.

Bisch

Comment

I've always waxed the whole thing, serving and all. Is that not correct? Why should the serving not be waxed also?

Comment

The loops always gets neglected, which is where 95% of the breaks occur.
              Pinch off a bit of wax put it in the first joint of your finger, put the loop in the joint and work the string back and forth from the thumb to the pinky finger 6-8 times.

If your string prints wax on the limb (when shot) burnish it in with a small piece of leather.
              It's like brushing your teeth, brush only the ones you want to keep.

Comment

Originally posted by Sticbow View Post
                The loops always gets neglected, which is where 95% of the breaks occur.
                Pinch off a bit of wax put it in the first joint of your finger, put the loop in the joint and work the string back and forth from the thumb to the pinky finger 6-8 times.

If your string prints wax on the limb (when shot) burnish it in with a small piece of leather.
                It's like brushing your teeth, brush only the ones you want to keep.
                Yep

Comment

Don't use any lubricate based waxes as they will cause the femish to get loose and come undone. Use a Bees Wax product for your best results as it will protect your string and help keep your femish tight. Here is what I use and found that the applicator makes it really easy to apply with out a lot of mess. http://hairybeaverstringsilencers.co...g_Keepers.html

Comment

Working...
                  X