Bowfishing Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bowfishing Setup

Any of y'all bowfish with your trad setups? I have bowfished alot in the past, and am trying to figure out what the heck to do. I've got all the accoutrements from a setup I pulled off a compound I sold - AMS reel, couple arrows, etc. Should I buy yet ANOTHER bow to drill and tap for the reel, or do any of y'all use the rubber strap attachments for a nicer bow to bowfish with?? I was going to get a PSE kingfisher as a cheap option, but have heard pretty bad reports about it being exceedingly shocky & heavy - to be expected for a bow in that price range.

I have a PSE Kingfisher I loaned to a friend of mine. In fact, he did pretty well with it at his first 3D shoot this past weekend at Canyon Lake. But yes, it is kind of heavy, makes a loud twang, and by "shocky," I assume you mean it kind of vibrates a bit after a shot? If so, then yes, it does that, too. But it's not as bad as it sounds, still fun to shoot, and my friend loves it. Haven't bowfished with it yet, but I have no doubt it would work well for that. From the looks of it, I'm sure it'll hold up to plenty of splashy water, mud and whatever scratches it might get from being thrown or dragged on the deck of your boat. Only complaint I have is that the upper limb has a slight twist already even though I've always used a stringer to string it.

Comment

I've heard nothing but good feedback from those that are using the Samick Sage for a bowfishing rig. I have no experience in this realm of archery but I sure have enjoyed shooting my Sage in a more traditional sense, it's already tapped for all the "accouterments" and I can't imagine you'd find a better all around shooter in the same price range (120ish).

Comment

i put a thin piece of wood behind my ams reel padded it with electrical tape to avoid scratching the wooded riser and taped it on as well. Looks a little redneck but works like a champ.

Comment

I use a Samick Sage - bought it for a bowfishing unit exclusively. First time out - never even shot it once I managed to get 6-7 fish in the boat. Not bad - it worked great for me and was nice to shoot as well!

Comment

Never tried this.

Comment

I got a old Browning fiberglass recurve, drilled a hole and put a insert in it for a real rig. works great

Comment

i use the rubber strap attachment that ams sells. They work FANTASTIC! Easy on, easy off, and rock solid!

I do not baby any equipment i own and my bob lee is no exception. It has killed a lot of fish. Even if i was building a bow specifically to bow fish with, i think i would still not add inserts and just use the rubber strap attachment. No tools required and goes on and off fast. Oh and inserts are ugly.

And that's a no go on the king fisher in my books. We used them for guide clients to tear up but id rather use a leaf spring.

Comment

I bought a Quinn recurve just for bowfishing. It has a metal riser, and it has served me very well over the last few years.

Comment

i have one of the strap on things i sale ya for a good price. dont use it and it was never been used. I use my sage now

Comment

Originally posted by Chunky View Post
                      I bought a Quinn recurve just for bowfishing. It has a metal riser, and it has served me very well over the last few years.
                      X2...I did the same as Chunky. I bought a Quinn stallion for bowfishing and have put many Tilapia in the freezer with it.

Comment

Working...
                      X