Need some trad advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some trad advice

I am looking into getting into traditional bows but I need some advice. The bows I am looking at are: Fred Bear Grizzly, Super Grizzly, Super Kodiak, and the Hoyt Dorado.

Here are a couple questions/concerns I have:

-If I have a 30 inch draw is it going to put too much strain on the limbs especially the Fred bear bows?

-My concern with the Hoyt Dorado is that years down the road if I need to replace the limbs then Hoyt does not offer them anymore. Is this a valid concern or am I worrying about that too much?

-Is there any benefit of going with the more expensive Super Kodiak then going with the cheaper Grizzly and Super Grizzly?

Thanks for the replys anyone may have.

First a Question: How are you measuring your draw length? If if is 30" with your compound bow, it will likely be 1-1.5" shorter with a trad bow. If you go to a bow shop, they have a recurve fitting bow that will make it easier for you to determine your actual draw length, and that assumes that you have already established an anchor point that is consistent.
    Now to answer your other questions:
    For the most part, if you get a bow like you describe above and draw it 30 inches, depending on the individual bow, they may "Stack" at that draw length, which means that they stop building draw force at a linear rate and feel like you hit a "wall" near the back. Most of those bows have been tillered for a 28" draw length, so 30" is somewhat of an overdraw, thus the stacking.
    Also, especially for a beginner, a shorter length bow will be harder to master and not as forgiving as a longer bow. With a recurve at a 30" draw length, a bow at least 62" long is probably going to perform and feel much better than a shorter one.
    You never know when someone like Hoyt will discontinue a product line, but I would not worry too much about that if I were you. If you plan to buy a new bow, I would expect that any of the bows you described could be ordered set up for a long draw length.
    Recommendation: Do NOT overbow yourself starting out. Even if you are shooting a 70-80# compound, start out with a lighter trad bow. 40-45# is a good starting point until you have developed good form an techinque and developed the muscle memory to shoot well.

All of the advice above is worth just what you paid for it = NOT MUCH!

Wayne

Comment

Yes 30in is with my compound.

Comment

I draw 26" on my compound with a release and 27" on my trad bows with fingers.
        It ain't always apples to apples I guess?

Comment

1. NO
          2. There are 1000's of limbs out there and Hoyt will always have some for warranty related issues. Clssified ads on Trad sites always have limbs available.
          3. I don't know anything about Bear bows but if you are pulling 30" you want atleast a 62" bow . A 64" would probably be smoother to draw. ILF hunting bows offer lots of adjustment for draw length , tiller, and 100's of limb options.

Comment

Originally posted by huntinpool View Post
            2. There are 1000's of limbs out there and Hoyt will always have some for warranty related issues. Clssified ads on Trad sites always have limbs available.
            The only thing about the Dorado limbs that makes me hesitant is that they are not ILF. I guess waiting a year or two and buying and extra set for backup would be a good idea.

Comment

My 14 yr old son has a Bear Grizzly 45# that he pulls nearly 30 inches and has no problems. I agree the bow is short for this pull by he doesn't seem to have any issue. One plus is the bow is very quiet.
              I suggest you test several bows to see what shoots best for you.

Comment

Several Dorados come across the classifieds on some of the trad sites. You may be able to pick up a whole bow for what new limbs would cost. Then you could sell the riser and make out alright.
                There was a guy on Tradtalk converting them to ILF or DAS fittings. then your limb choices would be huge.
                A Hoyt Excell riser is 21" and comes in black, and very reasonable pricing and ILF. It is close to the design of the Dorado but 2" longer.
                I love the ILF bows because of the options. But let me sway you, the Dorado is a godd bow and Hoyt will be making limbs for it for a long time.

Comment

What is ILF??

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Sanders View Post
                    What is ILF??
                    International Limb Fitting.

Comment

I have a 30" draw shooting compound bows and I have a 30" draw shooting trad bows. Not everyone loses draw length when switching from compound bows to trad bows.

Since I have a 30" draw length, I prefer a bow's poundage to be measured at my draw length instead of the standard 28" draw length that is found in production made bows. This is why I prefer a bow built for me by a custom bowyer. These bows are smoother to draw. Since I don't like finger pinch, I like a longer length bow and I shoot 66" length recurves.

Comment

If your draw length is measured correctly then that is your draw length. If you are not getting to that length with a trad bow, then you are not getting to full draw.

Bisch

Comment

That assumes you anchor the Compound at the exact same place as the stick bow. Most of us do not anchor in the same place with a Compound as with a stick bow, unless we are shooting the compound with fingers, because of the mechanical devices involved in shooting a compound bow. I'm sure there are some that do, but most that I have watched shoot do not.

Wayne

Comment

Mostly it depends on anchor points and string angles.. in general shooting trad bow vs a compound the draw length will be shorter for the trad bow.

Comment

Originally posted by JAVI View Post
                              Mostly it depends on anchor points and string angles.. in general shooting trad bow vs a compound the draw length will be shorter for the trad bow.
                              Yes mine with compound is 28" and recurve is 27" and I am stretched out as much as I can with my recurve.All the guys I shoot with are at least an inch or more shorter on draw with trad equip. than a compound!Just get a good used Widow and be done with it.Great company if you need anything done or extra limbs.Also,great resale if you need to get rid of it!
                              Last edited by ShaBow; 02-16-2011, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X