I want to build a bow!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to build a bow!!!

I have no clue where to start!! Any advice will be well appreciated.

There's a couple threads on here by Stykbow that are awesome follow-alongs for a build. Hornes also does a class where you buy a blank and finish it in the shop. You're also in the neighborhood of a couple really good bowyers. . . .one in particular, that might be able to point you in the right direction.

Comment

What do you want to build? Longbow? Recurve? Selfbow?

Comment

Google- Bingham Brothers. They have all you need and then some to get you started in bow building. Good luck. Have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Deb View Post
          What do you want to build? Longbow? Recurve? Selfbow?
          Need to decide

Comment

Me too. A machined riser of titanium with all the best features from all the best designs. Anyone have a cnc machine I could borrow?

Comment

Good luck and make sure you post pics when you build it.

Bisch

Comment

OJAM.org is hosting a selfbow jamboree in Oklahoma with what appears to be lots of interesting "how-to's" and seminars:

And here's a thread from Colejack3, a youngster on here who made his own selfbow:

He says www.poorfolkbows.com helped him with his build.

Comment

binghamprojects.com

they have all the materials and books that you need to build any laminated bow one piece or take-down recurve or longbow.

if you are going to build a laminated bow you have to build a form first in the shape that you want the bow you can get blueprints from the link above then you decide if you want to use the air hose, c-clamp, or innertube method of compressing the laminations while they cure in a heatbox (something else you will have to build but those can be made out of scrap material using lightbulbs to heat it) on the website above you can choose what bow you going to build at what weight and draw length you desire...... but like stated earlier to get a better idea about what all is involved search recurve bow build he did a pictorial and was very easy to understand

Comment

Originally posted by huntinpool View Post
                    Me too. A machined riser of titanium with all the best features from all the best designs. Anyone have a cnc machine I could borrow?
                    i think the hard part would be coming by a chunk of titanium that big $$$$$$$$

plus titanium sucks to thread and it galds (spelling) very easy

Comment

I can attest that starting with a selfbow is a lot of fun. I just re-tillered mine and took the weight down which made it much more smooth and comfortable to shoot. Started that one from a partially tillered blank bought off ebay.

Next I'll start with my own lumber and build one with a backing and perhaps a skin.

After that, I plan to make an oven and a clamp style bow press as seen in Stickbow's posts. Hoping I can do most of that with salvage/scrap lumber and only have to order the glass and epoxy. Bingham is much too high in my opinion. Heck, my main driver in building anything my self is because I'm cheap and you can buy a nice bow for less that Bingham's starter kits. Just my $.02

Comment

Working...
                      X