Selfbow kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selfbow kit

Fleabay had some Osage/bamboo selfbows made by some guy down in East Texas so I bid and got one for $109. It was already semi finished with the handle roughed out and the tillering done. All I really had to do was re-shape the handle and sand it some more but I took some off the limbs and re-tillered it to get the poundage down to around 48# at 27" (I'm guessing as it was supposed to be at 55#). Got is sprayed yesterday and a bit of stain on the bamboo side. I didn't like the white color. This morning I got the nock point tied and went out to sling a few. The bow has some hand shock but is quiet. It is no where near as fast as the Sarrels longbows I have but still packs a pretty good wallop up close and seems to be fairly consistent and seems to get smoother the more I shoot it. The limbs have taken about 1-1/2" of set and when strung is just a bit more than relaxed.
    All I have left to do now is put a leather wrap on the handle and it will be finished. I also added the art works and some Cherokee writing.
    A friend on mine is making me some special arrows for it and I have no clue as to what they are or look like, just that they are wood.
    First group at my favorite 17yds spot cost me a busted knock and second group at 18yds was about the same.
    I sure is fun to play with and didn't break the bank.
    The only question is, how long will it last?
    Attached Files

Awesome deal, nice looking arrows!And that's a really good looking group, those self bows tend to shoot a little different.

Comment

good looking setup

Comment

Tiny sight window.

Comment

Steve, I only see one problem....you cut the shelf on the wrong side of the bow!

Bisch

Comment

Agreed, that thing's all kinds of backwards.

Ron

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
            Steve, I only see one problem....you cut the shelf on the wrong side of the bow!

Bisch

Comment

its backwards!!! good looking bow

Comment

It ain't bakkards for me
                I shot it some more yesterday evening and it is definitely getting smoother with less hand shock. I never knew these things had to be "broke in".
                All I need now is some "proper" arras. My other woodies are a little bit too stiff I think and with the 5.5" brace, the big 5.5" bananas interfere with the shelf.

These things do shoot a little different but not all that much. I still aim the same way and don't have to compensate that much for left to right. I think with the the right arrow spine I should be aiming the same as my other bows.

Comment

Working...
                X