Please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help

I have been looking into trad a little bit since I have been hearing how much fun it is and I like the idea of just stick and string and not having any sights or anything. So... what is a good, inexpensive bow? I don't know if I want to do recurve or longbow. What are good arrows? Thanks, Sam

most compound shooters that swap over start with a recurve do to the riser design being close to that of a compound. an inexpensive recurve would be the Samick Sage. dont overbow yourself. a 40#-45# bow is plenty to start with, if you were to go with that weight range a 35-55 (500) spined arrow w/ 200-250gr up front fly great out of this bow. w/ the sage you can expect to spend between $200-250 depending on rest, string, and arrow shafts selected. currently im shooting Whitetail predators ($30 6pk at gander) w/ 145gr upfront and they fly like darts out of my 40# sage. hope this helps

Comment

Sam, it was nice meeting you at the range today. Congrats on the skip-in on the buffalo!
      You can get a decently priced new bow for less than $150.00. You need to come to a few more shoots and try a few longbows and recurve bows to decide which you like best. There is a little bit of a different feel between the two. Arrows are dependent on your draw length and draw weight. Just about any brand name carbon, aluminum, or well built wood arrow will work. If you can make a shoot I will be at and let me know ahead, I can bring several of my bows for you to try (they may be a little bit heavy but we will see).

Hope to see you at a few more shoots,

Bisch

Comment

Glad you are looking into it. There have been a lot of people asking lately and some really good info has been posted. Do a search on the subject and you can read them all. If you still have questions, we'll answer them all.

Comment

Thanks yall, it was great meeting you today Bisch!! Hope to see you at more shoots!

Comment

Look at 3 Rivers Archery. They stock production made recurves and longbows from Ragim, Samick and Greatree that won't break the bank for a beginner.

Comment

Originally posted by Night Wing View Post
              Look at 3 Rivers Archery. They stock production made recurves and longbows from Ragim, Samick and Greatree that won't break the bank for a beginner.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/Bows+L...56_p0_cat.html

I also like there traditional only carbons

Comment

I'll second the Samick Sage as being way more bow than the money you spend on it. I had I used as a backup and sometimes a primary bow until I got my second longbow. Now my son is enjoying the Sage very much.

Also what ever you do, don't get too much bow to start with. 40# is enough to get started and plenty of bow with the right arrows to stop a whitetail.
                Last edited by bountyhunter; 02-06-2011, 08:40 PM.

Comment

X-2 on the SAGE They seem to run a little heavier than specs , so a #40 is a great starter

Comment

for arrows check out the CX heritage. check out owl bows they are really good but i dont know the price

Comment

I could be wrong, but I think with the Samick Sage, you also have the opportunity to buy heavier limbs later on (since it's a take-down recurve) as you strengthen your muscles and improve your form. I don't have one (shoot a longbow), but am seriously considering getting one after all the good reviews on here.

Comment

equin you should get one. its a fun bow to shoot. i shoot it more than my vintage pearson.

Comment

My wife has a sage and it has been great

Comment

Originally posted by Hawg Slayer 4 View Post
                            for arrows check out the CX heritage. check out owl bows they are really good but i dont know the price
                            CX makes some great arrows, but they are costly for starting out. I'd have to recommend going with some Easton PowerFlights to start out. They are about half the price and fly great from a Sage, that is what I have my son shooting.

Comment

Originally posted by equin View Post
                              I could be wrong, but I think with the Samick Sage, you also have the opportunity to buy heavier limbs later on (since it's a take-down recurve) as you strengthen your muscles and improve your form. I don't have one (shoot a longbow), but am seriously considering getting one after all the good reviews on here.
                              Yes, you can buy different limbs.

Comment

Working...
                              X