The shoot that pushed me over the edge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The shoot that pushed me over the edge

Over the last several seasons I have had several shots that had less than desirable outcomes due to 1-2” placement variations or just plain freak events. Unfortunately the majority of these have come on bucks.

Last month I shot a buck out of a brush blind, standing broadside and flat footed at 14yds. It was my first sit in the blind and the deer had no clue I was there. I got little penetration and the buck ran off with my arrow and left very little blood. I was convinced I had botched the shot. Two weeks later I videoed the buck with a slightly high double lung hole on the side of the chest. I went home from that trip and bought a compound.

Last week my friend shot the buck from the same location standing in nearly the same spot. The hole on the right is his; the partially healed hole on the left is mine.

[ATTACH]210773[/ATTACH]

Upon autopsy my shot centered a rib, the braodhead rolled up the rib through the blackstrap and wedged between the fingers of the vertebrae at the top of the spine. I was relieved with my shot placement, though a little high, but deflated with the performance of my equipment. Though I understand that the deer had to be dropping and rolling for this outcome it is very deflating to hit a deer where you are supposed to and not recover it.

I must apologize to Bisch for my comments early in the season when he picked up a compound. Last week I shot a javi and a buck with a compound and even knocked down a buck with a riffle. I just don’t have confidence in my traditional equipment at the moment.

For those that are going to ask, my setup is as follows:
    58# @ 29.5” recurve
    5575 Goldtip 30.25”
    125grn 4-blade muzzy phantom (shaves hair on my leg)

So as die hard of a traditional archer that I am I must take a breather and regain some confidence.

It has happened to the best of us. I think it is more circumstance than it is equipment. I haveseen the same outcome from compound hunters and rifle hunters as well. Hang in there.

Comment

Happens all the time to compound users... Your traditional setup is fine but if "you" don't believe it is deadly your game sure want...

Comment

Wow! Chris, that was shot placement anyone would be proud of. Did the broadhead tip curl? Man, sorry for the bad luck. Stuff happens...Van

Comment

That's tough luck, but it is part of the sport. If we wanted to go about it with failsafe methods of harvest, I am not sure exactly what we'd use, a 50 BMG? Just curious if the broadhead was still in the animal, and if so, was the tip curled? Only thing I can imagine is a pretty rare chain of events where the broadhead hits the rib @ a 45 angle as the buck is ducking away, broadhead hitting with the main blade flat to the plane of the rib, and it sliding all the way up. Just thinking of all the variables that have to align for that to happen makes my head hurt.

Comment

Looked like good shot placement to me. I shot two hogs this season, which were good shots, but recovered neither. I too questioned my equipment. It is a part of hunting, unfortunate, but true. It is good fortune that your buddy got him.

Comment

makes me wonder about the muzzy phantoms im using havent shot anything with them yet but if a rib makes the tip curl it wouldnt do anygood to hit the shoulder.

Comment

Chris,
                Sorry to hear you are needing a breather;however, that shot placement does look good regardless of the equipment.

As hunters, we have all questioned our shot and felt bad when we do not recover an animal. I hope you find your confidence and return to your passion.

Comment

I'm curious. What is the overall arrow weight you shoot?

Comment

It happens. Take a break from it and when you feel right it will happen again. Until then rest.

Shawn

Comment

Ive flip flopped several times over the years. The truth is this is part of bowhunting, It can happen with the fastest compounds too. I shot a buck at 7 yds from the ground with a 80lb. compound shooting heavy 2219 arrows with bear razorheads only to get about 4" of penetration. It actually knocked him to the ground but he got up and left never to be seen again. Didnt leave a speck of blood either. I always say shoot what you like, we are all bowhunters. The complications of modern archery tackle are just not worth it to me. I like life simple, I try to be the best shot I can and dont take a shot Im not comfortable taking but sometimes we all will lose an animal. It is just part of the sport no matter what kind of weapon.

Comment

Arrow was not in the deer so I don't know if the tip curled. I have never had a curled tip on any of the animals i have recovered using phantoms. What is disappointing is that my friend's shot was higher.

Total arrow weight is around 450-475grns

I have killed several animals with this setup, but have shoot 3-4 in the last few years that I have had penetration issues with. If the unrecovered animals where due to me missing my spot by 6" I would just practice more.

Comment

I'm sure that "dropping and rolling" you spoke of plus centering the rib was the culprit. Just too many bad things happened at the same time...Van

Comment

Certainly shouldn't be having penetration issues with that setup unless you're getting some wobbly flight, but it wouldn't hurt to add some weight either - if you're hitting 58#, you're only @ 7-8gr/lb, you might think about adding 100-150gr to your setup, overkill is rarely an issue with trad gear.

Kinda a mute point now, but hard not to try and help. Have you tested your setup & draw length bare shafted recently? Having access to a trad shop definately helps, but one thing I have been doing is periodically checking my draw length, it does creap a bit on me - recently been creeping a little longer as I get more comfortable with my weight. That and brace height dropping as string stretches has caused me to periodically retune my setup. On a couple of my bows, they don't care, I can long draw, short draw, and it shoots fine, but on one, a minor tweak throws me outta whack.

Comment

It will be better by next year. That was a good shot along with some poor luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X