Old bow, no string

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old bow, no string

A friend has loaned me his old hunting bow to practice with before I buy a bow. Here's the problem: the old string is shot, scared to try stringing it. No markings on the bow, no brand, weight, length, etc.. How do you measure the length on a recurve? There are a lot of spots where the finish has flaked off to bare wood. Have not noticed any cracks in the wood or laminations, there seems to be a crack in the fiberglass on the (belly?) of one of the limbs between the pin and bolt hole, is it liable to disassemble itself if used? He told me to have fun and not worry, "it's a tough old bow". String it and have fun?

Measure the back from groove to groove following the conture of the bow. That measurement minus 4" should give a string you can use.

Comment

You could also just measure the old string and order another one that length from Old Man.

Comment

Originally posted by tascofeldman View Post
        There are a lot of spots where the finish has flaked off to bare wood. Have not noticed any cracks in the wood or laminations, there seems to be a crack in the fiberglass on the (belly?) of one of the limbs between the pin and bolt hole, is it liable to disassemble itself if used? He told me to have fun and not worry, "it's a tough old bow". String it and have fun?
        I am not an expert, but given the above information I would thank my friend for the thought, but I don't know that I would use the bow. Again I am not an expert on any type of bow, but you have come to the right place to find them. Oh and as stated before, ask the Old Man for a new string. If you can provide pics of the bow he may even be able to tell you what it is.

Comment

Working...
        X