10 Strand Or 12 Strand Dyna97

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10 Strand Or 12 Strand Dyna97

This is not going to be about ultra skinny bowstrings.

I've got a 37# recurve that came with a 13 strand Dyna97 bowstring on it. The bowstring had cat whiskers already installed on it. Since I shoot a very heavy 550 grain arrow, the cat whiskers aren't really needed so noise isn't a factor in my bowstring strand choice. After the hunting season is over, I'm thinking of putting a new bowstring on the bow.

I'm shooting a 2114 aluminum arrow which has Easton Super Nocks. They lightly snap on the serving. I want to know if I choose a 10 strand Dyna97 bowstring, will the Easton Super Nocks still lightly snap onto the serving of the bowstring or will the nocks be too loose because of the smaller diameter of the 10 strand bowsting and won't snap onto the serving?

I know a 12 strand Dyna97 bowstring works with my Super Nocks because Ol Man built me a 12 strand Dyna97 bowstring for my 42# recurve and the Easton Super nocks lightly snap onto the serving of the bowstring.

you shouldnt have a problem with either but you can always serve it up alittle if needed

Comment

I use dental floss on top of the serving to make the differance up if needed.

Comment

widdler thats not why you use dental floss. haha

Comment

I use a thicker serving material - usually I use .021 but if I go to a 10 strand I use the .025

Comment

Originally posted by Ol Man View Post
            I use a thicker serving material - usually I use .021 but if I go to a 10 strand I use the .025
            Doug,

I knew you'd see this and eventually would make a post. I really like the 12 strand Dyna97 bowstring you built for my 42# recurve. I'll be paying you a visit for another bowstring in January.

Comment

K Joe - have a merry Christmas!

Comment

On my White Wolf Longbow 48# @ 28" I'm using 8 strands of D-97 built up to 14 strands in the loops and the thicker serving material. Makes for a very fast string.

Comment

With my 37# @ 30" recurve, speed isn't a deciding factor. "Quiet" is the determining factor. The factory bowstring on it right now is a 13 strand Dyna97 bowstring that came with the bow. The cat whiskers were already installed and I will say, the bow is whisper quiet. If someone would stand 20 yards from me, with their back to me, I think you would barely hear the bow upon arrow release.

Of course, I'm shooting a very heavy 32" BOP, 550 grain 2114 aluminum arrow which equates to 14.86 GPP with a 16.2% FOC moving along at 155 fps. The main reason I want to try a smaller strand bowstring is to be able to shoot the bow without any string silencers on it. As I mentioned before, my 42# @ 30" recurve has a 12 strand Dyna97 bowstring on it now and it has no string silencers and doesn't need any since it's also whisper quiet. It shoots a very heavy 32" BOP, 2117 aluminum arrow which equates to 15.16 GPP with a 15.4% FOC moving along at 153 fps.

With my two recurves, I've come to an "unscientific" conclusion that by shooting a very heavy arrow GPP wise with the proper number of strands on a bowstring and with the optimum brace height (sweet spot), string silencers are not needed for the 10-20 yard bowshots I take.

Comment

Working...
                  X