Traditional Archery and God

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traditional Archery and God

Traditional Archery is unlike any other anything in the world. What is it like? To the uninitiated, it's like hunting, or shooting, with a pistol, from the hip and hitting your target. The vast majority of hunters or marksmen will never know the joy of traditional archery. That's a shame because it, in my humble opinion, connects you more deeply to your target/task than you could ever get anywhere. You don't have a sight, mechanical release or fall-away rest to impede your connection with God's bounty. You don't look at the world through rose-colored glasses and we don't look at it through a peep site.
    Traditional Archery is not an elitist undertaking. It's kind of like being a Christian. We all know we aren't perfect but we strive to live our life the way God intended. We are all perfect in God's eyes. We can do the job he intended for us. We don't need anything extra to get the job done because we are good enough as we are now. Kind of like a longbow/recurve and something more high-tech.
    As I go through life, I'm bombarded with obstacles and some are tougher than others. I've been knocked down so many times I'm not sure if I have the strength to get up. Whenever I start feeling down, I ALWAYS remember that I am good enough. Although I'm not perfect, God made me, and you, in his image. God is perfection. Anything that happens does so for a reason and you can bet that God is behind it, directly or indirectly.
    I heard a message today about controlling our negative thoughts. If you lose a job, the first reaction may be anger...followed quickly by others. Why can't we realize that God is in control and, for a reason known only to Him, we aren't needed at that job anymore? Though we may no understand His plan, he does have one. I think this is all about trusting Him. I truly believe that none of us trust Him as completely as we should.
    Just before I wrote this, I was sitting in my recliner, watching tv. A strong urge to write came over me. It was so strong that I had to act. I'm not sure who I'm supposed to be writing to so I'm writing it here. I figure that wherever I decide to write this, that is where God intended it to be.
    Deb and Jon (Cottonwood), thank you for helping me see past myself and start seeing what is laid out before me by God Himself. My hope is that whoever reads this will find some comfort in these words. I believe that God told me to write this because someone, maybe myself, needed to hear it.

Blake Simmons (bsimm78)

Thank you Sir and God. I did need something like this!

Comment

Blake this is awesome, many of us myself included need to be reminded every once in a while... If God lead you to it, He will lead you through it.

I'm looking at one of my jobs right now, that will end at the end of two weeks. This is a loss of $800 a month. God blessed me with a great first job, but I was hanging on to this second one. When I got the word on this last Weds night that I was being replace, and then asked if I could train my replacement, I gladly accepted to train this new guy knowing that I would see this second job no more.

But I'm looking at the reason behind it.... God brought me to this point, and I know that something better is down the road. Both jobs combined hours were a total of 11 hour work day for me, yep I'm tired and worn when I come home at night. I think its God's way of telling me I need some rest.

I know there is a blessing there to be found.

Comment

Amen! God has a special place in his heart for his archers. Have you ever noticed when reading the word, that archers are always singled out? If someone grew up to be an archer it is mentioned. In many of te dreaded geneologies it will say someone begat whoever who begat someone else who became an archer. I've read this several times in several places. If you study the good battle stories in the old testement the archers are placed out front. Because they have the longest reach. The green screen is a very far reaching vehicle. Lets not blow the shot. God has been very busy here of late.

Comment

Wow, what a great thread to wake up to this morning! Thanks for the words of encouragement.
          When we are faced with the trials and tribulations in our daily lives it is only human to feel insecure of our future. However, we must remember that God has the best GPS of them all so sit back and enjoy the ride! Oh, and don't forget to fling a few arrows because through archery you will find serenity, passion, and friendships.

Comment

Here is something that I have used in my signature line that I made.

Comment

Wow great words! Thanks for posting it!

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Great post Blake! Thanks.

Comment

An inspiring message Blake. It sort of reminds me of the message our pastor was talking to us about Sunday before last. The entire sermon was about looking forward and not backward. He said "Think about this, everything on your body faces forward, your eyes, your nose, your arms, your ears, your feet and (I am adding this) and your arrow. The only thing on your body that faces backwards is, mmmm, think about that. God has a sense of humor. The only thing that faces backwards is something that none of us want to consider. So face forward, shoot a good arrow, and thank God for the ability to do this and the country we live in that allows what we love to do.

Comment

Great post! Words I needed ,all needed, to hear and believe whole heartedly.

Comment

great thought

Comment

Working...
                        X