I think I wore my recurve out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I wore my recurve out

I've got a Martin X-200. 55lbs @28 inches. My draw length is 24". So I figure my draw weight is between 43 and 47 lbs. I've had it for about 5 years. I've shot it probably 15,000 to 20,000 shots. The only trad kill I've got was a Turkey. This year I've shot two hogs in the 100 to 125lbs class, but recovered neither. The first one was broadside @ 15 yards. I hit a good shot, found my arrow, but noticed I only got 7 inches of penetration including the broadhead. My broadheads were shaving sharp. (single blade Magnus). Never found that hog. Friday morning I shot another hog quartering away. Once again I hit a good shot. I noticed when the hog ran off the arrow was jiggling up and down, a real sign of poor penetration. I looked for this hog, but found no hog, no blood, and no arrow. I'm a deer hunter, and knew after this I would not shoot a deer with this bow.

I have always left this bow strung. I do not know what the true weight of the bow is now. I have been shooting 1816 alluminums 26"with 125 grain broadheads. A guy watching me shoot noticed that my arrows did not have much speed.

Luckily one of the guys on my lease (wheelie boy) loaned me his Black widow 58lbs @27 inches till I get my new bow from Bob Sarrels. While shooting his bow this morning before work, we noticed a tremendous difference in speed, even though I was shooting a little heavier 1916 shaft.

When I get the chance to get to a bow shop I'm going to check the weight of the Martin to see if it is weak.

I don't think you can wear one out. Big difference in a widow and a martin. Also sizable difference in those draw weights.

Comment

Sounds like you're heading in the right direction. I'd hate to be the next hog that presents a shot to you. Go gettem!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Kidwell View Post
        Sounds like you're heading in the right direction. I'd hate to be the next hog that presents a shot to you. Go gettem!
        Thanks for the encouragement Tom. I'm just glad I never connected on a deer.

Comment

Big difference in the widow and martin, plus there is a HUGE difference in a 24 in draw and 28in draw. Your not going to ever be a speed demon with at 24 in draw.

However you may want to switch to carbon arrows and up to 50 lb at your draw weight, if you can shoot in comfortably. The carbon far out penetrate aluminum grain for grain and the little extra weight will help you out.
          A goldtip 3555 with a 100 grain brass insert and 125 grain point would give you good FOC and better penetration. Just start at 30 in and cut it off till it fly's straight.
          Happy hunting.

Comment

I bet you whack the next one that walks out

Comment

Pretty rare for a bow to drop poundage from leaving it strung unless it's exposed to prolonged high heat (i.e. car in summer), or has some internal damage going on. My bet would be that you're arrows aren't tuned well - hence the low penetration. Plus, as mentioned above - those two bows aren't in the same ballpark.

@ 24 inch draw, you have some challenges ahead. You can get more weight on the bow, but you're always going to struggle a little bit getting the same performance as someone with a longer draw. You just have a 20% shorter powerstroke (drawlenght - braceheight) than someone shooting 28inches. Might not hurt to have someone work with you on form and see if you can't squeeze another inch or two out of that. Only person I've met shooting that short a draw was anchoring knuckle to nose and shooting too much weight.

Comment

I have heard that the recurve design will not lose weight if left strung. All of mine are strung and ready to go. My Sarrels has been strung for 2 yrs and still spot on the poundage. With the right Broadhead , #50 will shoot through anything in Texas.

Comment

Sometimes the devil is in the details.
                  Shoot a bare shaft arrow thru a piece of paper suspended in front of your target. If it leaves a sideways slit or tear(vertical or horizontal or angled) then your arrows and bow are out of tune. An arrow that is hitting sideways will lose a huge amount of it's penetration ability because all the energy that is used to straighten the shaft back up on impact.
                  I will guess that it could cost you near 50% of the arrow's penetration ability.

I pull 26" on a 55# Mamba which is about 49lbs and it will shatter the ribs on the off side of a 125lb hog. I get thru both sides breaking and cutting ribs on each side so I see no reason you can't at least get thru to other side if you are in perfect tune.

Comment

Originally posted by Txnrog View Post
                    Pretty rare for a bow to drop poundage from leaving it strung unless it's exposed to prolonged high heat (i.e. car in summer), or has some internal damage going on. My bet would be that you're arrows aren't tuned well - hence the low penetration. Plus, as mentioned above - those two bows aren't in the same ballpark.

@ 24 inch draw, you have some challenges ahead. You can get more weight on the bow, but you're always going to struggle a little bit getting the same performance as someone with a longer draw. You just have a 20% shorter powerstroke (drawlenght - braceheight) than someone shooting 28inches. Might not hurt to have someone work with you on form and see if you can't squeeze another inch or two out of that. Only person I've met shooting that short a draw was anchoring knuckle to nose and shooting too much weight.
                    I think you are probably right, it is a powerstroke issue. I do not think I draw the bow back far enough to get it in it's power zone.

Comment

How do you grip the bow?
                      If I straighten out my wrist and grip the bow with my thumb and forefinger and fold the other three into my palm, I can get another 1/2 to 3/4" draw length. I see many people using this grip style. It also helps me to not torque the bow as much.
                      After I shoot a while and get tired, I notice that I start to relax and drop my wrist so I really have to concentrate.

As for the X-200 bow, I don't know much about them except they are a less expensive utility grade bow and may or may not have the same limb and riser design and speed as the Martin made Damon Howatts which are very fast shooters, as fast or faster than anything else made today pound for pound.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                        How do you grip the bow?
                        If I straighten out my wrist and grip the bow with my thumb and forefinger and fold the other three into my palm, I can get another 1/2 to 3/4" draw length. I see many people using this grip style. It also helps me to not torque the bow as much.
                        After I shoot a while and get tired, I notice that I start to relax and drop my wrist so I really have to concentrate.

As for the X-200 bow, I don't know much about them except they are a less expensive utility grade bow and may or may not have the same limb and riser design and speed as the Martin made Damon Howatts which are very fast shooters, as fast or faster than anything else made today pound for pound.
                        I don't think I can grip it like that, because I'm vertically challenged, hence the rest of me is just as small. I could draw back farther, but then I feel my accuracy may suffer, but I may try it, because I believe it is a powerstroke issue. Luckily as posted earlier I've been loaned a Black Widow 58lbs @27", so I'm going to shoot it through the rest of the season.

Regarding your earlier post; I have paper tested, and shot a good clean hole at 13 to 15 yards.

Comment

Comment

[QUOTE=SCRUBBUCK;3150487]I don't think I can grip it like that, because I'm vertically challenged, hence the rest of me is just as small. I could draw back farther, but then I feel my accuracy may suffer, but I may try it, because I believe it is a powerstroke issue.
                            QUOTE]

When I started. . . .Way back in March I was shooting with a 27.5 to 28 inch draw when I first picked up a trad bow anchoring at the corner of my mouth - thought I was pretty hot - actually shot pretty decent just starting. I had someone work with me (He actually stood behind me and pulled my elbow backwards till it got straight in line). For me this moved my anchor to mid cheek (thumbnail tucked flat in corner of jaw). Felt a real difference in my back muscles, and am now shooting 29.5 inch draw (30 if I get excited). Accuracy went completely to hell when I made the move. Took me a couple weeks, and was more accurate before & feel like I have a more stable shooting platform.

It was tougher for me b/c I didn't change bows in the process, so I was on the edge of being too heavy - that extra couple pounds when I moved anchors made a huge difference. Might suggest getting a super light bow to shoot for a while to see if you can adjust your form to reliably get a bit more out of your wingspan. BTW, the guy that taught me is about 5'7, and he's shooting a 27inch draw.

Comment

Took me a couple weeks, and was more accurate before & feel like I have a more stable shooting platform.

Meant to say more accurate THAN before

Comment

Working...
                              X