Hitting the first shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hitting the first shot

When I practice, I always want to hit a good first shot. Easier said than done. I try to practice as if it's a real hunting situation. I like to shoot fast, but have noticed on the first shot it is better for me to hold for 3 to 4 seconds. When I miss it's do to a weak shooting hand side. I find I have to concentrate on keeping my back muscles stiff a a board or I'll have poor release. What do the rest of ya'll do on the first shot ? Your thoughts please

Good question! I'm still a newb, and my first shots are usually way off the mark. It's not until I've warmed up til they start grouping and getting close to where I'm aiming. Hence, the reason why I suck at the First Shot of the Week challenges!

Anyway, I find it helps a bit if I draw and hold for 4 to 5 seconds, but don't loose yet. If I do this for several reps, I can sometimes get my first shot in fairly close. Trouble for me, though, is the temptation to just let loose anyway without going through that warm-up exercise! I don't know if that would work for you, but thought I'd mention it since it sometimes works for me.

Eager to hear from the veteran experts!

Comment

Make a pea size dot, aim small, miss small

Some times you talk your self out of a good to. most of my "first shots" are from a sitting position.

Comment

The "First Shot" challenge threads are just what you need.

Comment

The first shot of the day regardless of yardage, is the most important and critical shot of the entire practice session.

Comment

I am the opposite, I start well and make mistakes as I practice when I think about what I am doing. I have only been shooting a recurve for a month now.

I am pretty solid out to 15 yards. The biggest mistake I make after I have been shooting is I get lazy on my anchor point and my release. If i can keep those consistent I will shoot great.
            Last edited by orion; 11-18-2010, 06:50 PM.

Comment

I feel like it is focus and consentration. Two things I have trouble with, however if I do these two things I will make a good first shot. Just like Sticbow said, aim small miss small.

Comment

Hint.... draw your bow two, three or four times to full draw and hold for a count of 5... before drawing and shooting. I do this when hunting every so often as well and it really helps. Usually it isn't concentration but, lack of proper stretching of your muscles.

Comment

I seem to shoot my 1st shot on the money. After about 10 I start to get tired and don't tend to group as well.

Comment

Take your time and focus on a spot

Comment

Before season I shoot just ONE shot in the mornings before work. Then practice in the evening. Sometimes I will hold for extened time others I shoot as fast as I can. I always do better holding no matter how long I hold. I use the one shot to simulate different hunting situations. I have never gotten a second shot in the field.

Comment

I guess I have been lucky - my bows are whisper quiet and on many occasions I can get a second shot if my arrow doesn't hit bone or rattle on something on the way to my target. I once had 6 shots at a bunch of hogs - took 5 all within 3 minutes, they still hung around for minutes after that - I ran out of arrows though!

Comment

Ole Man them hogs were trying to figure out what those new sticks were that were in the ground ,I am just kidding I know you hit them all. I did not have Arvin to pick on so I used you. SORRY.
                          Last edited by widdler; 11-19-2010, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X