How often do you shoot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How often do you shoot?

I have been shooting my recurve everyday, and I think I am doing good. I have been shooting around 100 shots per day. I typically shoot 10 arrows at a time at different distances ranging from 10-20 yards throughout the day.Is this about right or should I be shooting less or more?

I have been stopping my shooting when I get tired or when I notice that my form is suffering. I really don't know what I should be doing so please help me. I don't want to pick up or develop any bad habits.

How often and how many arrows does everyone shoot per day or week?

I am not the greatest by no means, but this is what I do to keep in tune. In the off season I try and shoot twice a week if I can. Even if it is just picking up my bow and shooting 6-12 arrows. When it get closer to hunting season I try and do it at least every other day. Some weeks I might shoot every day just a half dozen times each. In the begainning I would shoot for hours until my form would get bad and start making bad shoot. Then I would try and fix that and just keep getting worse. So I had to slow down. You have to remeber the first shot is the one that always counts,

Wil

Comment

Another thing I try since I have limited time is to limit myself to say 6 or 12 arrows. I will try and really concentrate on those shots and make them good. I have a hard time "pretending" I am hunting and get bored easily shooting targets so I got a 3D and try to mimic hunting situations and convince myself it is a real deer. It has helped some. That and I TRY to end on a good shot but it doesn't always happen. That and sometimes I just want to shoot and shoot!!!

Comment

I personally shoot better when I dont shoot but about 1 time a week. Normally during the learning period it will probably be better to shoot at least 3-5 times a week. You are doing right by stopping when tired and I will say if your having an off day like we all do occasionly just put it up. I went 3 months without shooting and was right on target after about 2-3 arrows so you really dont have to shoot alot. Quality practice will do better than long extensive shooting sessions.

Comment

I shoot everyday as well if possible, sometimes my work intervenes tho'
          Try shooting a few less at a time between pulls and you wont get as tired so quick..sometimes I only shoot one and then pull, rotating arras every few shots..bought ya self any woodies yet bro? Is best when ya do that you can shoot them to see how well they fly and group from your bow.

Comment

I must still be in the learning stage. I shoot pretty much every day for an hour or so.

Comment

I'm with Buff. I shoot at least a couple of hours every day. But I own an archery shop so I have the range to shoot in. I must put at least a couple of hundred arrows down range every day. I don't feel right if I haven't shot.

Comment

Sounds like your on the right track to me, when I first started 5 years ago I did just as you are and even today I shoot almost every day but now I spend more time on perfecting my form and do not shoot as many arrows on a daily basis I want my first arrow of the day to always hit were I am looking and that is my practice each and every day.

Comment

I try to shoot a little 3 or 4 times a week but what I learned that helped me was only use one arrow to practice with. I would shoot about 10 arrows and then go pull them. By just using one arrow it makes me concentrate on the shot and not rushing just to get practice. This also allows time for you the recap the shoot and try to make the next one better.

Comment

If you stop by about sunset on any given day, it highly likely I'll be in the backyard shooting. I'd say everyday, but I miss a few here and there. Don't know how long or how many shots. I just shoot till I'm ready to go inside for the evening.

As long as I can still group about the size of a washtub at 15 yards, I'm happy.

Comment

come on Losthawg, you get all your arrows in a wash tub? or just most of your arrows

Comment

When I'm shooting my Great Plains, all of them. When I borry someone's widder bow, well then its kind of unpredictable...

Comment

I usually shoot 4-5 times a week,and from 5-50 yds.30-40 arrows each session

Comment

Weather permitting I shoot everyday for at least 30 min.

Comment

Dang, I'm behind...could explain alot about my shooting! I would love to shoot everyday but sometimes just don't get around to it. I would say definately 2 to 4 times a week though. Sometimes I shoot too long at a session, just can't get enough...sometimes I make myself only shoot a few like mentioned in my post above...and sometimes it just doesn't feel "right", i.e. I can't hit my anchor the same way twice, or I can't concentrate, or I drop my bow arm, etc....those days I just put it up and work the dog or play with the kids. Otherwise I get frustrated trying to fix my shooting and it all goes south in a hurry!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X