No announcement yet.

Brace height=hand shock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok so I see ya'll don't feel the same way about Asbell as they do, but besides that.

Is the open grip going to cause a problem, or do I just need to modify my style to fit the open grip?

Ol Man- will I be able to reduce the affect of the top limb whipping forward by adjusting the BH?

Comment

that bow will calm down alot for you with the higher brace height. If you go to Black widows website they list all the bows and their brace hight range. Widows are great shooting bows. Once you start shooting you'll develop your own style. I like a fairly loose grip myself. Ive been shooting that way for close to 35 years though.
      SL

Comment

You really need to learn to shoot with a closed hand. No pressure on the bow but with a closed hand. At the shot your mind tells you to grab the bow or it will jump out of your hand. That grab is causing you to grab downward for the bow. Where you used that open handed method with the compound, it doesn't equate well to stick bows. The reason is the stick bow is much lighter than a metal handled compound and leaves your hand faster making you grab for it faster and consequently effect the shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
          You really need to learn to shoot with a closed hand. No pressure on the bow but with a closed hand. At the shot your mind tells you to grab the bow or it will jump out of your hand. That grab is causing you to grab downward for the bow. Where you used that open handed method with the compound, it doesn't equate well to stick bows. The reason is the stick bow is much lighter than a metal handled compound and leaves your hand faster making you grab for it faster and consequently effect the shot.
          I agree, after 11 years of competitive Compound archery that was one of the hardest habits to break. Now that I hold the bow (softly) my shooting has improved .

Comment

Thanks guys I'll give it some practice and let ya'll know how it improves

Comment

As they've said above hold the bow softly and find YOUR style. You will here tons of theories on shooting but besides the basics it has to be yours. I looked up the SA II and 8 1/2 is a great place to start.

Comment

You can talk about your bows. ....

You can talk about your grips. ....

You can talk about your brace height;

but the best comment on this thread was " a pooch passing a peach seed" THAT will stick with me the rest of the day!

Charlie

Comment

Brace height is way to low for an SA.

8.25" minimum on that bow, but I suspect it will be a whole lot better at 8.5" to 8.75".

Comment

Originally posted by Ol Man View Post
                    Any recurve will tend to flutter - the limbs are being stopped at the end of the stroke by the string itself...this causes the limbs to do a shimmy at the end. The limb tips are thinner than the limb itself so it gets imparted from the limb to the tips and this causes what you are calling flutter. This should not cause your bow arm to drop but the bow top to push away from you forcing it out and down at the same time. I noticed in your avatar you are drawing open hand - is this how you shoot or do you close your fingers (gently) around the riser at release? This could be more of what you are seeing as well. Just my opinion guys!!!!
                    I am confused. I see a bow, an arrow, and a dead squirrel in his avatar?

The open grip will not cause a problem but you can't GRAB the bow on release. I use a very open grip. I make a circle out of my thumb and first two fingers around the riser. I shoot a longbow mainly. A BW riser may be too big to use this method but, as stated above, you have to find your own style and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!!!!!!

Bisch
                    Last edited by Bisch; 08-14-2010, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                      I am confused. I see a bow, an arrow, and a dead squirrel in his avatar?

The open grip will not cause a problem but you can't GRAB the bow on release. I use a very open grip. I make a circle out of my thumb and first two fingers around the riser. I shoot a longbow mainly. A BW riser may be too big to use this method but, as stated above, you have to find your own style and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!!!!!!

Bisch
                      Bisch,

Ithink Milburn has changed his Avatar to reflect his new-found marksmanship. Atleast I hope that is what the dead squirrell is implying..

Comment

Originally posted by rubydog View Post
                        Well said Doug!! I already had my foot near my mouth on that one.
                        Every time I see an archer all hunched over like a pooch passin a peach seed I can't help but grin and wonder....

(I always thought it was a rusty anchor chain!)

@ 01milburnsc, pard do yourself a favor and attend a 3D shoot that has traditionalist archers. Then stand side by side with the oldest to the youngest and watch everyone's form, ask questions and learn. Try different methods and practice, practice, practice. IMO, finding your own eclectic style will take at least a year to perfect. Don't rush it and go into it with an open mind and eyes wide open and above all else, have fun with it! When things are not working, set it down for a few hours and think about your form, work on two things at each session, no more. You will see your groups tighten over time and you will enjoy the gift of the arrow in flight.

e·clec·tic (-klktk)
                        adj. 1. Selecting or employing individual elements from a variety of sources, systems, or styles
                        2. Made up of or combining elements from a variety of sources

Have fun, life is to short!

Comment

hmmm, the question was brace hight,
                          if the string is in good condistion, twist it up and start with the recommended hight, and work up and down from there, i'd go to O L'S website and look at tuning,, good stuf there

Comment

Working...
                          X