Opportunity to buy a few guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opportunity to buy a few guns

I have the opportunity to buy a few guns as I was looking through a safe of someone that’s considering thinning theirs out (lots of cool old quality stuff in it). One I thought was really cool but an odd caliber is a clean old Mohawk in 222. Could this be used as a kids deer rifle? Size wise it’s perfect kid gun but I’ve never owned this caliber. My first deer rifle was a 243 but know lots of kids started with a 223. Also I don’t ever see the ammo anywhere. Looking up online it looks like it’s common around 50 grain. Seems a little light?

222 is a little light for WT. IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by BBBGP View Post
      222 is a little light for WT. IMO.
      I agree—OK for varmints and hogs though.

Comment

Just bought some .222 REM ammo at Walmart. Kids used 222 and 223 for deer for years.

Comment

Killed several deer with a 222!

Comment

222 is fine for reloading and extremely accurate. If you don't reload, be prepared to pay whenever you can find the ammo.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by andre3k View Post
              222 is fine for reloading and extremely accurate. If you don't reload, be prepared to pay whenever you can find the ammo.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

I don’t reload as much as I used to but I’m still set up for it and do it once or twice a year.

Comment

My first deer rifle was a Mohawk 222 ( shot placement is everything) if you decide you don’t want it please let me know

Comment

Deer can be killed with a .22 LR but it doesn’t mean they should. IMHO a .243 should be minimum for deer. Why handicap a kid with a caliber that’s marginal ?

Comment

If you can get the 222 for a fair price jump on it I would be willing to trade you for a rifle better suited to youth deer hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                      Deer can be killed with a .22 LR but it doesn’t mean they should. IMHO a .243 should be minimum for deer. Why handicap a kid with a caliber that’s marginal ?
                      This is why I’m asking personal experience. A lot of people say 243 is too small but I’ve never had a problem with it and most just drop in their tracks when shot with it. I still use the one I grew up with occasionally.

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
                        If you can get the 222 for a fair price jump on it I would be willing to trade you for a rifle better suited to youth deer hunting.
                        Thanks but I wouldn’t feel right reselling them. This is from someone who would basically be selling them to me for my kids. Family member (the type that if I don’t buy them may end up gift wrapped on christmas anyway kind)There’s an old youth model lightweight 20 gauge wing master, that Mohawk, a small 788, and an old marlin 3030 I may be buying for my kids out of his collection as well as an old colt 22 semi auto rifle that’s super small light and handy I’m gonna try to get.
                        Last edited by SCREAMINREELS; 05-07-2023, 03:08 PM.

Comment

My wife has shot several deer with a 222. None have gone very far. Only problem is no blood trail.

Comment

I would imagine the Colt is a Colteer they are very nice little rifles

Comment

I’d buy the Mohawk for no other reason than it’s a gun no longer made in a great caliber.

Sierracharlie out....

Comment

Working...
                              X