Suppressor & POI Shift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suppressor & POI Shift

I finally took my new rifle (Bergara Wilderness Ridge 308 ) and my new can (Thunderbeast Ultra 7) out today. Got the rifle semi zeroed in at 100 without the can. With the can on I had three great groups, but my POI was 3" right on 2 different rounds and 2" right / 2" low on another. Like I said, ll group were better than .75" with the best being about .25" (168gr Berger Hybrid Hunter)

Should my POI be that big between suppressed & non suppressed?

Also do those suppressor covers remove enough heat to help with the "Mirage Effect" through the scope

Thanks for any info

Point shift is normal suppressed vs unsuppressed. The amount of shift is dependent on the can.

If you intend to hunt with it suppressed, zero it with the suppressor attached.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Thanks Mike. I just didn't know if the POI should be that big. I read a few things online saying it shouldn't be larger than about 2"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
        Point shift is normal suppressed vs unsuppressed. The amount of shift is dependent on the can.

If you intend to hunt with it suppressed, zero it with the suppressor attached.

This.

And yes, a cover will help a lot with mirage.

Comment

I have 1 rifle the POI is 5 inches low at 100. It shoots 3 rounds touching tho. I have a couple others that are 2 or 3 inches over as well.
          But the groups are great with the can.

Comment

POI seems to be substantial with some, very little with others
            I do experience a tighter group when shooting suppressed vs non suppressed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The POI shift you are experiencing is normal to minimal.

As suggested if going to hunt suppressed, zero that way.

I use a QD with mine and take the suppressor off for transport. Never had an issue.

I’ve never experienced the mirage issue.

Comment

Careybirdwell you are fine that is typical poi shift I have seen 90 percent of the time the POi shift is low and to the right I believe also has something to do with rifling being clockwise........zero with the can and hunt with the can

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
                  Thanks Mike. I just didn't know if the POI should be that big. I read a few things online saying it shouldn't be larger than about 2"

I am surprised you are seeing that much shift with a TBAC can. Are you direct thread or QD?

Comment

TBAC doesn’t claim to not have any POI shift. Their biggest claim is that it is repeatable.

Check it. Very important. Shoot. Remove can. Put it back on. Shoot. See if it changes your POI.

So long as it’s repeatable, as stated above, zero with it on. And get to shootin.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                      I am surprised you are seeing that much shift with a TBAC can. Are you direct thread or QD?

Im using it as a DT. It was made with the QD. I call ThunderBeast to schedule sending it back in to convert over to DT. They told me just to loc-tite the QD brake in the can

Comment

Suppressor & POI Shift

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
                        Im using it as a DT. It was made with the QD. I call ThunderBeast to schedule sending it back in to convert over to DT. They told me just to loc-tite the QD brake in the can

That’s all that they do to convert them. Even their DT cans from the factory are just CB cans that have a brake loctited in.

Comment

Originally posted by Raider4044 View Post
                          That’s all that they do to convert them. Even their DT cans from the factory are just CB cans that have a brake loctited in.
                          That is what they told me, so that is what I did. Seems to hold solid after yesterday's shooting

Comment

My POI shifted straight right 4" on one rifle and straight down 4" on another. I put a cover on for the mirage, but it is still there. The heat is still there and takes longer to cool down the barrel and can.
                            If you reduce the power of the scope it greatly reduces the mirage effect. I took the cover off recently when shooting it on my 300 blk.

Comment

I have a SIG SRD762ti-qd.

On my Ruger American Predator 308 the POI shift is straight down 4” with the can. So your shift isn’t too crazy. The key is that it’s repeatable. Check it a few times. All of my rifles differ, but they all have a POI shift, but again they are all repeatable.

As others said, zero with the can. If you ever take a shot without it, just kentucky windage your hold.

Comment

Working...
                              X