Lyman Presses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M16 View Post
    Lube the inside neck of your cases before resizing and decapping. Set the die so that the decapping pin goes down just far enough to punch out the primer. I’m not a fan of dies that use a collet to hold the decapping pin. I prefer ones that are threaded.

To be honest I’m thinking of buying some rcbs dies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Geraldg6 View Post
      To be honest I’m thinking of buying some rcbs dies.

Good choice. Stay away from Hornady. Otherwise you will have the same problem.

Comment

Here is my first load. What on earth went wrong?
        I had the die set to its longest length. I did inspect the die afterwards and it was filthy. It’s being cleaned now.

What are your thoughts?

Also what powder are you using for 308 168gr sierra tmk?

Comment

Looks like you didn’t chamfer your case mouth
          Last edited by M16; 05-04-2023, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Why are the shoulders looking depressed? Is the die set to low?

Comment

Originally posted by Geraldg6 View Post
              Why are the shoulders looking depressed? Is the die set to low?

Probably. Take a case and put it in the shellholder. Then raise the ram to the top of the stroke slowly. The case should not contact anything. If you feel contact your seating die is set too low. Unscrew the seating die until there is no contact at the top of the stroke. Then go a quarter turn more. Make sure the adjust the seating stem as well.

The way i do mine is screw the seating die in a couple of threads deep. Then place a case in the shellholder and raise it to the top of the stroke. Screw the seating die down until you feel it touch the shoulder of the case. Then back the die off one quarter turn.set the lock ring. Back out the seating stem completely. If you have a live round put that in and raise it to the top. Screw the seating stem down until it makes contact. You can adjust your bullet seating depth up or down from there but that will get you in the ballpark.
              Last edited by M16; 05-05-2023, 05:58 AM.

Comment

Probably. Take a case and put it in the shellholder. Then raise the ram to the top of the stroke slowly. The case should not contact anything. If you feel contact your seating die is set too low. Unscrew the seating die until there is no contact at the top of the stroke. Then go a quarter turn more. Make sure the adjust the seating stem as well.

The way i do mine is screw the seating die in a couple of threads deep. Then place a case in the shellholder and raise it to the top of the stroke. Screw the seating die down until you feel it touch the shoulder of the case. Then back the die off one quarter turn.set the lock ring. Back out the seating stem completely. If you have a live round put that in and raise it to the top. Screw the seating stem down until it makes contact. You can adjust your bullet seating depth up or down from there but that will get you in the ballpark.

That’s awesome advice! Thank you M16

Comment

I really don’t understand why the die manufacturers don’t use a method like this to set the dies.

Comment

Working...
                  X