357 rifle loads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

357 rifle loads

Just picked up a beautiful 357 Henry rifle and was wondering if anyone has suggestions on the best load for this rifle for deer hunting? Was reading that Federal Hammer down in 170 grain was pretty good. Just looking for some advice. Thanks

We (me and my sons) shot a bunch of pigs with a 357mag carbine using the Hornady 140gr Leverevolution ammo. Most were "bow range" shots and it worked well. Exit wounds were rare but they didn't seem to go far.

The Buffalo Bore "heavy" 357 ammo would blow through them and leave a good Blood Trail but it is $$ and didn't cycle well in the Rossi we had.

Comment

I killed a doe with my 6" revolver using Barnes Vor-tx 140 gr. Shot was about 20 yards, shattered both humerus bones and left about a quarter size exit. Not much blood, but watched her dropped in about 40 yards. I'm now using the Federal Premium line, same bullet, but moving a little faster. Underwoods, and Buffalo Bore have some hot loads if you can find them.

Comment

Leverlution is likely the most accurate but you can't leave it loaded in a tube magazine for extended periods or the tip will deform throwing shots off.

I have had great luck with Speer 158g Jacketed Soft Points

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

I just got a Rossi and loaded 16gr of h110 and 158gr sierras and chrono showed 1790fps and that was good enough for me. Had some 140gr sierras leftover and they shot 1980fps but idk powder charge, was h110 though. I’m sure I could push these hotter but want them for a revolver too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I should mainly older 158 flat nose SP and JHP. I’ve seen 2100 fps if memory saves me right with h110.

They are a hoot to shoot suppressed. I was shooting leads at 900ish and they are stupid quiet

Comment

My sons Henry lever gun shoots the 180 grain Buffalo Bore rounds very well. It dumps hogs and javelina with authority out to 75 yards. Haven’t had very many opportunities past that but I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot it at 100.

Comment

Working...
                X