Gun malfunction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gun malfunction

Has anyone heard of this happening. So I took out my 1o year old son for turkey this morning. We took the rifles too just in case we saw pigs. As we were leaving the ranch I stopped to unload the youth rifle I put the safety in the middle position to extract the bolt and empty the chamber as soon as I moved the bolt the gun went off. We've had this gun for years and have never had an issue with it. Any idea what happened?? I'm not doing anything with it till I take it to a gun smith. It scared the crap out of us I'm so grateful nobody was hurt.

Curious about what make and model? Remington had some issues with the model 700 I believe.

Comment

That's scary. Probably, hopefully, just needs a good cleaning. What gun?

Comment

what brand and model ?

Comment

its a Howa rifle chambered in 7mm-08 model 1500. It was one that came with a youth stock and regular size stock to grow with the kids as they get older.
          Last edited by texaswoods8; 03-25-2023, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the info and glad no one was hurt. That is obviously an extremely serious issue. In for make and model.

As mentioned above, some of the older Remington 700's were known to have similar issues. However, OP states that the safety was in the middle position so this was not a Remington 700. I know Winchester and Howa both have a middle position, possibly some Kimbers?
            Last edited by Plain Lucky; 03-25-2023, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by texaswoods8 View Post
              its a Howa rifle chambered in 7mm-08 don't remember the model. It was one that came with a youth stock and regular size stock to grow with the kids as they get older.
              Probably a 1500 action. Personally, I would try to capture the incident on video and then contact Howa to send it back. The manufacturer needs to be made aware ASAP. Thanks for the post and again, glad you were being safe and no one was hurt.

Comment

Contact the manufacturer. I’ve got a Cooper .280 that would fire on safety. They paid for all the shipping both ways and fixed it quickly.

Comment

drives home the point of safety; never point a gun at something you don't mean to shoot.

glad you were adhering to that and no one was maimed or injured.

Comment

Originally posted by hpdrifter View Post
                    drives home the point of safety; never point a gun at something you don't mean to shoot.

glad you were adhering to that and no one was maimed or injured.
                    YES!!! I'm so thankful.

Comment

I was in a truck that this occurred back during deer season. It was a Remington 600. As I told him and would suggest that rifle needs a hacksaw or like and trashed. No matter how expensive the rifle or weapon. Especially given the potential that could have occurred.
                      Last edited by tps7742; 03-25-2023, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Get it fixed looked at

Comment

That's scary to think about.

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
                            I was in a truck that this occurred back during deer season. It was a Remington 600. As I told him and would suggest that rifle needs a hacksaw or like and trashed. No matter how expensive the rifle or weapon. Especially given the potential that could have occurred.
                            Throw the whole gun away because of a bolt/trigger issue? Why not just fix the issue?

Comment

Originally posted by Fajkus7 View Post
                              Throw the whole gun away because of a bolt/trigger issue? Why not just fix the issue?
                              Agreed. We have a Remington Model 7 that fired once when the safety was pushed to off. My wife was about to shoot a buck and thank God it was pointed out the window of the blind. Scared the hell out of both of us. We unloaded that sucker and never used it again until I put a Rifle Basix trigger in it.

Comment

Working...
                              X