2023 Handgun Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andre3k View Post
    Is anyone casting or shooting cast bullets when they hunt? I cast pretty much all of my wheelgun ammo, but its all for practice. I'm guessing a 250gr SWC at 1300 FPS should work fine for hunting.
    I definitely think cast has its place for hunting (large boned/dangerous animals) but without question, most scenarios I encounter, a jacketed bullet will do substantial more damage and result in shorter blood trails. I did start playing around with a cast hollow-point this past fall and took a deer with it from my .45 Colt. It performed no different than a jacketed hollow-point in my opinion. And I'm going test a 440 cast with large meplat out of my 500 JRH this spring on hogs.

But for thin skinned animals, a jacketed soft point or hollow point will always out perform a cast in terms of terminal ballistics.

The above statements all assume hardness, speed, etc. are all appropriate for the bullet type and animal you are after.

Also, my comments are based 100% on my own personal experience. In no way am I trying to start a cast vs. jacketed war...

Comment

Originally posted by Randy M View Post

I definitely think cast has its place for hunting (large boned/dangerous animals) but without question, most scenarios I encounter, a jacketed bullet will do substantial more damage and result in shorter blood trails. I did start playing around with a cast hollow-point this past fall and took a deer with it from my .45 Colt. It performed no different than a jacketed hollow-point in my opinion. And I'm going test a 440 cast with large meplat out of my 500 JRH this spring on hogs.

But for thin skinned animals, a jacketed soft point or hollow point will always out perform a cast in terms of terminal ballistics.

The above statements all assume hardness, speed, etc. are all appropriate for the bullet type and animal you are after.

Also, my comments are based 100% on my own personal experience. In no way am I trying to start a cast vs. jacketed war...
      My place is heavily wooded so if I don't get a DRT shot, then I want something that's going to leave a decent blood trail. I cast a lot of wadcutter and Keith type semi- wadcutter bullets and I figured a cast bullet would work well in this scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by andre3k View Post

My place is heavily wooded so if I don't get a DRT shot, then I want something that's going to leave a decent blood trail. I cast a lot of wadcutter and Keith type semi- wadcutter bullets and I figured a cast bullet would work well in this scenario.
        You have to remember when using a handgun the idea is to break down the skeletal system. Breaking bones should be the objective. Either jacketed or cast will work when you put a bullet through the shoulder.

Comment

I need to stretch this one out

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8189.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	308.3 KB
ID:	26789414 Outstanding morning in central Texas. Took this boar right at daybreak with my new Freedom Arms M83 in 41 magnum. Load was 210 XTP over H110. Shot was about 55 yards perfectly broadside and hit the shoulder. Complete pass through and about a 25 yard recovery.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8189.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	308.3 KB
ID:	26789414 Outstanding morning in central Texas. Took this boar right at daybreak with my new Freedom Arms M83 in 41 magnum. Load was 210 XTP over H110. Shot was about 55 yards perfectly broadside and hit the shoulder. Complete pass through and about a 25 yard recovery.
              Nicely done Randy! You should start a 2024 thread….

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post

Nicely done Randy! You should start a 2024 thread….
                Thank you sir. And sounds good. I’m thinking we just have one titled ‘Handgun Hunting’ instead of a new one each year. Since we are a pretty small group.

Comment

New thread location for everyone.

I’m starting a new thread for us handgun hunters and if everyone agrees, I’m thinking we just have one ongoing thread vs. new one each year since we are a small bunch.

Comment

Thank you sir. And sounds good. I’m thinking we just have one titled ‘Handgun Hunting’ instead of a new one each year. Since we are a pretty small group.
                    Good idea!

Comment

Working...
                    X