School Me On MuzzleLoaders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School Me On MuzzleLoaders

I have never even fired one, but for some reason I have a desire to take a buck with one. Oklahoma has a pretty prime season for them as well.

What is the best mid priced one? I see alot of CVA on the hunting shows if that is worth anything.

See if Oklahoma has any restrictions on type of muzzleloader, ignition system, optics, projectiles etc.

Comment

.40 cal and up firing a single ball or bullet.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
        See if Oklahoma has any restrictions on type of muzzleloader, ignition system, optics, projectiles etc.
        .40 caliber or larger, firing a single ball/bullet

Comment

Originally posted by hogdaddy View Post
          .40 cal and up firing a single ball or bullet.
          Beat me to it. Thanks!

Comment

I have a CVA Optima V2 and love it! Bought it when I lived in Maryland to extend my season but came to really enjoy hunting with it.

Light, accurate and never lost a deer with it. I use 100 grains of Blackhorn 209 with 250 grain sabots and the BH 209 breech plug with great results...2" groups or better at 100 yds.

Comment

Originally posted by HogCommander View Post
              I have a CVA Optima V2 and love it! Bought it when I lived in Maryland to extend my season but came to really enjoy hunting with it.

Light, accurate and never lost a deer with it. I use 100 grains of Blackhorn 209 with 250 grain sabots and the BH 209 breech plug with great results...2" groups or better at 100 yds.
              How far are you confident to take a deer with it?

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
                I have never even fired one, but for some reason I have a desire to take a buck with one. Oklahoma has a pretty prime season for them as well.

What is the best mid priced one? I see alot of CVA on the hunting shows if that is worth anything.
                my advice get one also with iron sights incase a d drilled for scope you ever decide to hunt NM, or CO etc

i use encore

Comment

I absolutely love my CVA Optima V2. One thing that I would highlight that mattered to me was the ability to use my hands to remove the breech plug instead of the tool. I have had a couple of them in my time that I had to carry the breech plug tightener and by contrast to them the Quick Release Breech Plug system is pretty handy when it comes to having to deal with it out in the field.

Most of the time you are cleaning it at the house anyways, but for ease it is nice - plus I was able to pick up an extra QRBP to keep in my possibles bag. As far as preferences, like above just make sure of what restrictions a state may have on muzzleloaders. After reviewing KS, I ended up going with the V2 that I mentioned and also picked up the 14in pistol version of it as well (it is same system, same plug, same everything just in a pistol and is so much fun to pig hunt with since I have just a red dot on it).

As far as rest of the gear, I have put the main setup that I have preferred over the years but there are lots of options out there. I prefer a 150gr with 295gr powerbelt - seemed to be best setup for me.

As far as next steps, just make sure you get used to cleaning it thoroughly and definitely clean your breech plug. Bore butter is a fav for me but I also use Thompson Center T7 Breech Plug Cleaner to expedite it. Also, save yourself some grief if you end up in a CVA and just get https://www.amazon.com/Connecticut-V...5205963&sr=8-5

Pellets

Bullets

Primers

I ended up putting a Nikon Muzzleloader scope on it but naturally there are many options there.

Comment

Originally posted by HogCommander View Post

Same gun and likes also.One of the most accurate guns I own.I usually take a deer every year.150 Grains powder and 250 grain bullet and I’m comfortable shooting 200 yards.

Comment

They are the last bastion of hope for those who haven’t killed a deer from late September to early January.

Comment

I have a TC and love it. I especially like the fact you can get interchangeable barrels for it. I bought mine and it came with a 22-250 barrel as well.

In mine I use 2 powder charges and a 209 primer. I forget the bullet grain but it is a sabot. I have no problem shooting out to 150 yards with mine. I will say one thing you better get good at is cleaning them. Mine needs to be cleaned after 2 shots and is dang near impossible to load after that. There may be a secret but I haven’t found it yet.

I hunt with some guys in Oklahoma and we all shoot the TC’s, the landowners kids shoot one as well.

Comment

The last day of muzzle loader season this year, I squeezed the trigger on my .50cal and it when "pop". Just the primer, no ignition. Put another primer in and it went off like normal.
                          Luckily my hunt was already over and I was only shooting at a target. Point is, make sure those breech plugs are clean and dry.

Comment

Another vote for the CVA Optima V2 in 50.caliber.

Comment

Years ago I bought a cheap one from sportsmans guide and it was a blast to shoot but cleaning is paramount but there are foaming cleaners that are easy. That's if using black powder vs pellets. Just for fun we used balls and patches and it's cheaper just to blast away

Comment

Working...
                              X