Best Break open air rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Break open air rifle

Looking to buy a great quality wood and metal .177 or .22 break open for my son and I to use. I had a cheapie but it keeps screwing up and I want to buy a good one. Is the beeman r9 the gold standard or what do yo guys recommend?

Don't know about Beeman but RWS makes some good air rifles.

Comment

I've got an Umarex and its pretty dang good.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubberdown View Post
        Looking to buy a great quality wood and metal .177 or .22 break open for my son and I to use. I had a cheapie but it keeps screwing up and I want to buy a good one. Is the beeman r9 the gold standard or what do yo guys recommend?
        I have had a R9 for years with no issues. Have a couple of RWS’s and Gamo’s around also but the R9 is by far my favorite. About 10 years ago my kid killed a 40# pig with it. In the forehead and drt.

Comment

THE CADILLAC of break-barrel air guns is the Beeman's R1. Put you a Hawke Sport Optics scope on it with a BDC reticle and you're good with pin point accuracy beyond 50 yards with the .22 cal. With the .177, because of the size of pellet and power curve of the R1, you'd be good approaching 50 yards, further if you use heavier pellets to slow 'em down a bit... I have one of each, and seldom shoot them anymore, but for a quick shot at a crow in the garden, feral cat after the chickens, or such, I grab that .22cal. R1 first even over my fancy PCP guns. It's quick and deadly. Either of them will shoot dime size groups all day long with good quality pellets at 35 yards and if you tune it right, well beyond.
          They're kind'a hard to find now like most quality things, but well worth it if you can find one.
          Here's a good review link worth the read: http://www.airguns.net/reviews_r1.php

Edit to add: Most any of the Beeman guns that fit your budget will be a good choice.

Comment

Another vote for RWS...

Comment

They're expensive, but RWS are great.

Comment

I have a RWS 34 in .22 cal. It’s actually my second one. I gave the first one to my son. The first one was very accurate but the second one will not group for squat.

Comment

Geoff, try some different pellets. What caliber?

The biggest issue with most good quality break-barrel guns is that they shoot too fast. Best accuracy is achieved when the pellet is slowed down to <1000 fps in .22 or 8-900 for .177 cal. That diabolo pellet profile is just not stable at near supersonic velocities. Get you some heavier pellets and try them.
                  Pyramid Air used to have "pellet samplers" in 22, 25 and 177 cals. It was a small tin of pellets that had like 25 or 50 pellets of different weights. Kept you from having to buy a whole tin of every weight to try... Not sure if they still have those or not... If it's a .177, let me know and I'll fix you up a sample pack!

Comment

as mentioned, quality pellets matter.

That said because Im cheap when it comes to this stuff, we have two gamos. The whisper cat I bought my wife for Christmas shoots RWS pellets well to 35 or 40

Comment

I have an older RWS 34 and that’s a heavy one. I like to have never found a scope to stay in place. My biggest mistake was to not ask for advice from TBH but also trying to use the old traditional scope ring mounts. After I went to a one piece problem solve.

I will have to read up on the R1 mentioned above. I also need to try different pellets. Good thread, tagged.
                      Last edited by tps7742; 10-25-2022, 10:54 AM.

Comment

I also say RWS. I had a RWS 45 and that thing was a beast of a pellet gun. I dominated the neighborhood Mexican dove hunts as a kid. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

RWS 45 I have killed a ton with it. My kids now shoot it. We keep it at the back door for rats or whatever messes with the chickens.
                          I have smoked a ton of crows and other birds out to 50yards.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                            Geoff, try some different pellets. What caliber?

The biggest issue with most good quality break-barrel guns is that they shoot too fast. Best accuracy is achieved when the pellet is slowed down to <1000 fps in .22 or 8-900 for .177 cal. That diabolo pellet profile is just not stable at near supersonic velocities. Get you some heavier pellets and try them.
                            Pyramid Air used to have "pellet samplers" in 22, 25 and 177 cals. It was a small tin of pellets that had like 25 or 50 pellets of different weights. Kept you from having to buy a whole tin of every weight to try... Not sure if they still have those or not... If it's a .177, let me know and I'll fix you up a sample pack!
                            I’m shooting .22 cal, Exact Jumbo Diabolo in 15.89 gr and Exact Jumbo RS Diabolo in 13.43 gr.
                            The heavier pellets do group better that the lighter ones. I’ll keep looking for something with more weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                              I’m shooting .22 cal, Exact Jumbo Diabolo in 15.89 gr and Exact Jumbo RS Diabolo in 13.43 gr.
                              The heavier pellets do group better that the lighter ones. I’ll keep looking for something with more weight.
                              Try Crosman premiers 9.something grs. They shoot great in my rws

Comment

Working...
                              X