Shotgun shell reloading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shotgun shell reloading

So I’m wanting to get into reloading my own shotgun shells for skeet/trap. But trying to sift through the information online is getting pretty overwhelming, so I’ve come to the TBH brain trust once again. I’m looking for info on basic reloading equipment for 12 and 20, a place to look for recipes ( books, articles, other forums), and maybe some personal experience. Any info is greatly appreciated!!

First thing I'd do is find some primers. They are dang near impossible to find (at a reasonable price).

Lyman makes a good book!

Comment

Loading scatter gun ammo is much easier and 10x faster than rifle. When we messed with it more I could load a 2 gallon bucket of 12 in about an hour with a single stage mec

We used federal hulls that could go 2 or 3 times. I loaded everything from 4s to 9s with a 42 or a 42a powder bushing

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Cheddite primers were available this weekend from Precision Reloading.

For equipment, look at MEC. They have been around forever, generally very easy to set up and use, and many times you can find them used very reasonably.

Hodgdon has reloading data on their web site as I'm sure others do.

Comment

I am in the steep part of the learning curve on loading for shotgun. Lyman 5th edition seems to be the most referenced manual. Available on Amazon. Also, Hodgon and Claybuster have recipes. Starting out i would stay with the exact recipes, hull, primer, wad, and shot. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
            Starting out i would stay with the exact recipes, hull, primer, wad, and shot. Good luck.
            This is very good advice. Substituting components can sometimes dramatically change pressure. Learned it the hard way about 40 years ago. Pressure spiked and could not extract the empty without using a rod to drive it out. Fortunately all that was ruined was a dove shoot.

Comment

I used a MEC progressive press when I was deep into sporting clays. I could load AA for about the same price as cheap promo shells at wallyworld. Almost idiot proof too !

Comment

Whats your location

Comment

If your shooting different shotguns of the same caliber, I would go with a press that resizes the brass. Like a mec grabber. I ran into this problem a few years ago. I had a Remington model 11 and a 1100. The model 11s chamber was slightly larger. Reloaded shells shot from the 11 wouldn’t chamber in the 1100.

Comment

Originally posted by mkk View Post
                    Whats your location
                    I live in Laporte, Tx. Work in Texas City

Comment

Originally posted by smokeless View Post
                      If your shooting different shotguns of the same caliber, I would go with a press that resizes the brass. Like a mec grabber. I ran into this problem a few years ago. I had a Remington model 11 and a 1100. The model 11s chamber was slightly larger. Reloaded shells shot from the 11 wouldn’t chamber in the 1100.
                      Thanks for the heads up!

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
                        I am in the steep part of the learning curve on loading for shotgun. Lyman 5th edition seems to be the most referenced manual. Available on Amazon. Also, Hodgon and Claybuster have recipes. Starting out i would stay with the exact recipes, hull, primer, wad, and shot. Good luck.
                        Thanks for a good starting point, I’ll check out Amazon now!

Comment

I’ve been loading shotgun shells since the early 90’s and still use the first Lyman book that I bought when I started. I’m well stocked on components so haven’t kept up with availability in this latest shortage, but I figure that could be a problem in getting started.
                          If it were me, I’d weigh the cost and availability of all the components before jumping in with both feet.
                          I use MEC Sizemasters (12 and 20), and I like them a lot.
                          I’ve used AA hulls the most, but I also like Remington Premiers and Fiocchis.

Comment

I’ve got 12 and 20 mec 600 jr’s id sell. Hulls, some misc wads, prob 200-400 primers I’d have to check. Pm me if interested. I10/bunker hill west houston

Comment

Originally posted by Leaverrite View Post
                              I’ve got 12 and 20 mec 600 jr’s id sell. Hulls, some misc wads, prob 200-400 primers I’d have to check. Pm me if interested. I10/bunker hill west houston
                              Pm inbound

Comment

Working...
                              X