No announcement yet.

Western Big Game Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If recoil and the increased cost of magnum ammunition are non issues, then I would say the .300 Win Mag or 7mm Rem Mag are excellent choices. As I age, I seem to notice and be affected by recoil more than I used to. For me, I would choose the .30-06 or .270 Win as I seem to be more confident with those rounds due to less recoil. Since I don't handload, factory ammunition is what I shoot, and factory loads are cheaper in non-magnum calibers. For me the key would be plenty of practice, knowing the range limitations of the cartridge you select, and then choosing to make ethical shots on game that fall both within the distance you are capable of accurately shooting and the cartridge's ability to deliver a lethal wound based upon velocity and available energy at said distance. I have shot the Hornady Superformance rounds in several calibers, and they have all been extremely accurate, and they yield muzzle velocity increases of 100-200 fps over standard factory loads all without an increase in recoil. Although it doesn't turn a .30-06 into a .330 Win Mag, it does get you closer to .300 Win Mag performance than standard factory loads without the increase in recoil. Not sure what the max distances are you would be shooting, but even the 7mm-08 and .308 Win are capable rounds if shots are kept at reasonable distances.

I know hunters that hunt out west, especially those that hike many miles up in the mountains, and they appreciate a light weight rifle that carries easily. Unless one uses a suppressor that adds length and weight, or a muzzle break, a hunter must determine how much recoil he can handle in comparison to rifle weight and still shoot accurately at long distances. This is where the balancing act of rifle weight and recoil tolerance come into play. Good luck to the OP as you do your research to determine the best caliber for your needs.
    Last edited by Bigfootwolff; 06-14-2022, 03:42 PM.

Comment

7Mag every time for me. 162 gr matched.

Lots of good choices out there. Especially of you have the budget to build something special

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
        300 Win Mag. You have a wide array of bullets to choose from, and readily available.
        This

Comment

My 300wsm. Short action for a lighter weight rifle and just plain old good ballistics for everything we hunt up here. Shoots fairly flat, I load 165-168 gr bullets but the spouse loads 180 grs.
          Recoil is not bad at all, way easier on a shoulder than a 300WM.

I do feel ammo is more readily available for say a 300WM or 7mag off the shelf.

Comment

I think your most important choice should be bullet composition rather than caliber, within reasonable “elk calibers”. You can have a large caliber magnum rifle, but if you’re using a poorly constructed bullet, it won’t matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
              I think your most important choice should be bullet composition rather than caliber, within reasonable “elk calibers”. You can have a large caliber magnum rifle, but if you’re using a poorly constructed bullet, it won’t matter.
              Very true, once I decide on which boom stick I'll then start working on the bullet selection..

Comment

6.5 PRC mountain style rifle

Comment

Nothing will be more versatile than the 300 Win Mag. Factory ammo choices are plenty and can be enhanced by hand loads if desired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

.280 ai for me. Its just a great round. 160gn partitions or accubonds and good to go.

Comment

Working...
                    X