Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

What would you build?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I sent my Winchester Model 70 30-06 to JES reboring last year and its now a .35 Whelen. I didn't want a complete overhaul but rather to breath new life into a shot out rifle. It also gives me a "big gun" if I ever want to hunt nilgai or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
      I still see some of the 7mm STW ammo on shelves from time to time.
      It's a bit more than 7mm Rem Mag and should handle heavy bullets some betterer. Would probably need a good muzzlebrake.

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Kno...0%9D%20barrels.
      Wrong bolt face.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
        I hammered a good mulie last year at 300 yards with a 22” 260 using a 130gr Accubond and it performed perfect not worried about mule deer. I know any medium cal cartridge will kill the biggest of bulls at practical distances that’s why I was leaning towards the 280ai and probably running the 150-160gr Accubond.
        I run the 140gr Accubond out of my .280ai. It has performed perfectly on big South TX Whitetails (250lb range) so mulies would be a non issue. I would have no hesitation using that combo for elk. But, if I were making it a dedicated out West gun for elk and mulies I would step up to the 150-160gr as well.

I think you would be happy with that decision. And the .280 is mild mannered enough to build in a lighter gun for the mountains and not beat your brakes off.

Comment

I would keep the gun, if you like it, and get a new (non-Savage) action to build upon. :-).

Comment

6.5-284!!

Comment

Originally posted by freerhunter16 View Post
              Wrong bolt face.
              Easy fix. Change out the bolt head. Midway or Brownell's carry them for the 110

Comment

338-06. If not that 9.3x62. If not that .35 Whelen.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                  I would keep the gun, if you like it, and get a new (non-Savage) action to build upon. :-).
                  What's wrong with a Savage action?

Comment

do some reading on a long throated 30-06,,, years ago i worked with an old gun smith that was a very big fan of it and built more than one,,,,, you keep the 30-06 cartridge with all of it abilities and simply build a little free bore into the chamber,,, pressure goes down and velocities go up with heavier bullets ,,,,the old man knew what he was talking about and was even featured on i think it was Texas rifleman magazine many years ago

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
                      do some reading on a long throated 30-06,,, years ago i worked with an old gun smith that was a very big fan of it and built more than one,,,,, you keep the 30-06 cartridge with all of it abilities and simply build a little free bore into the chamber,,, pressure goes down and velocities go up with heavier bullets ,,,,the old man knew what he was talking about and was even featured on i think it was Texas rifleman magazine many years ago
                      Never heard of this, but thats intriguing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X