.308 barns ttsx 130gr ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.308 barns ttsx 130gr ???

Question does anyone use any 130gr ttsx on medium to larger game ( aoudad, red stag,i) ? If so any problems or anything?
    I don’t particularly like the 150gr white tails I am running ( very explosive @ >150 meters)
    the ttsx come in 150 & 168, but the 130 is 3200 FPS which seems reasonable in a .308
    Barns & cor-bond both carry all these in factory loads
    Attached Files
    Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 03-10-2022, 04:29 PM.

I haven’t tried the 130s but I’ve had good results with the barnes 150s on paper and animals. In my gun they group a little better than the 168s. Depending on your barrel twist the 130s might be worth a shot.

Comment

I can tell you with the 280ai that these bullets did not shine until I went light...the 120's are better on paper & game than the 140's in my gun. They want to be pushed fast & think most others have found the same.

Comment

I'm almost out of 168 TSXs for my .30-06. I'm going to try the 130 TTSX and 150 TTSX and see which shoots better in my gun. I'm not at all worried about penetration with the lighter bullet. The base will drive through even if you lose petals. With the TTSX needing a higher velocity to open than the TSX, I'm not worried about losing petals. Just go with whichever shoots better.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
          I can tell you with the 280ai that these bullets did not shine until I went light...the 120's are better on paper & game than the 140's in my gun. They want to be pushed fast & think most others have found the same.
          Same here. I didn't like 140's out of my .280 Rem. I was told to go lighter but I never tried any more.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
            I think I will quit 2nd guessing it, my buddy shoots them on game up to elk and sent me a picture of the shoulders of the elk his girlfriend shot with 130gr 308
            Attached Files

Comment

I've never had any game go very far or lost any for that matter...40yds at the most when hit in the boiler. I will tell you that blood trails are 50/50 which isn't an issue for most, but frustrating in our thick prickers.

I've dissected many an animal & it seems if the speedy pill hits a rib/bone on entry it almost always leaves a trail ray charles could follow...if it slips through, then the exit has a chance of plugging. When that happens be prepared for your britches to get splattered cuz all the blood carnage plops out when gutting.

Comment

I shoot Barnes TSX and TTSX bullets exclusively out of my big game rifles.
                I have never had a problem with them.
                Barnes says that since they do not have a lead core, they perform like a bullet 30% heavier. So, a 100 gr Barnes bullet will perform like a 130 gr lead core bullet.
                I have always subscribed to the lighter and faster mentality versus slower and heavy. As an example, out of my 7mm RUM, I shoot the Barnes 145 gr LRX bullet.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Went to the 130's when I couldn't source 150's. The 130's for me group tighter, the velocity over 3000 fps in a .308 is smoking and so far they have been devastating on pigs and deer. My son shot a couple of exotics-Addax and red deer hind and it was bang flop.

I'm not a big .308 fan, but those bullets are my new favorite in the caliber hands down.

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
                    I shoot Barnes TSX and TTSX bullets exclusively out of my big game rifles.
                    I have never had a problem with them.
                    Barnes says that since they do not have a lead core, they perform like a bullet 30% heavier. So, a 100 gr Barnes bullet will perform like a 130 gr lead core bullet.
                    I have always subscribed to the lighter and faster mentality versus slower and heavy. As an example, out of my 7mm RUM, I shoot the Barnes 145 gr LRX bullet.

Sweet so 130gr =165
                    35whelen 180gr =235
                    Roughly??

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
                      Sweet so 130gr =165

35whelen 180gr =235

Roughly??
                      That is correct.

Comment