6.5 Grendel - Bad Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
    In defense of Barnes bullets, much like the 110 & 120 grain TAC-TX were purpose built for the 300 BO, the 115 Barnes were specifically designed for the lower velocity of the Grendel. They should in theory expand easier than the TSX/TTSX line of bullets.

I’ve tried them in my Grendel AR and I just haven’t found a load that shoots well for me yet so I won’t hunt with them.

Op if you handload find some Speer 120 grain Gold Dot bullets. They expand well at Grendel velocities. Just keep them at or above 2000fps impact velocity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    So those expand well? Get blood trails? Most of my grendel kills were DRT (SSTs), but there is hardly ever any blood and wife did have one run about 30yards into some brush. Dog found him pretty quick, but i do like a blood trail

Comment

2200ft/s out of a 123 sst?.. holy crap batman that almost as bad as the worthless 300blk..

same people here that have been trashing the 300blk are now dumbfounded why the grendel didn't do any better ? must be the scope, no the barrel , no the bullet , no the moon phase ...

Comment

Originally posted by CWendling View Post
        So those expand well? Get blood trails? Most of my grendel kills were DRT (SSTs), but there is hardly ever any blood and wife did have one run about 30yards into some brush. Dog found him pretty quick, but i do like a blood trail

I’ve not shot anything but paper since I haven’t found a load that I find acceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I’ve e shot Grendel for years, factory and reloading my own. Had an 18” and a 12”. In my limited experience the OP platform was paired with the wrong bullet which caused the negative experiences. 123 SST always performed well out in f the 18”. I was less than impressed with the performance of my 12” and reason I reverted to a 9” 300 BO sub sonic and an 18” 300 Ham’r super sonic. Grendel is a superb round in the 16-18” barrel and even better for if you reload. I’ve moved to the .30 cal to condense bullets and powders I’m using to reload in these times where selection is limited.

Comment

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
            2200ft/s out of a 123 sst?.. holy crap batman that almost as bad as the worthless 300blk..

same people here that have been trashing the 300blk are now dumbfounded why the grendel didn't do any better ? must be the scope, no the barrel , no the bullet , no the moon phase ...
            This is why i havent bought a 6.5G SBR yet. That and 6.5 cal bullets are much more expensive than any 30cals.

Comment

Originally posted by sideways View Post
              What ammo were you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              hornady 123 Grain SST.

I just don't see the point in using the Grendal, which is marginally powered, when we have 6.5 CM's, 7mm-08's, .260 rem, and other mild recoiling cartridges out there.

At best, the Grendel is anemic.

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
                hornady 123 Grain SST.

I just don't see the point in using the Grendal, which is marginally powered, when we have 6.5 CM's, 7mm-08's, .260 rem, and other mild recoiling cartridges out there.

I don't see the point of 6.5 CMs, 7mm08s, 260 rems, when we have 270s, 7mags, and 300 mags.. it's all about what you want to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                  I don't see the point of 6.5 CMs, 7mm08s, 260 rems, when we have 270s, 7mags, and 300 mags.. it's all about what you want to use.
                  Exactly. Everything I’ve ever killed, I could have killed with my 22 Mag. Well, except for when I’ve missed.

But what is the fun in only having 1 gun???

Comment

hornady 123 Grain SST.

For a bolt gun I agree but in AR15 platform that’s where it gets better performance versus other calibers in AR15 platform.

Comment

hornady 123 Grain SST.

Actually, at best….it’s a wicked little killing machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                        Actually, at best….it’s a wicked little killing machine.

In any platform!!!!

Comment

It will keeel!

Comment

Maybe just bad shot placement?

Comment

Ok, so to add some closure on here, I was able to get some Hornady 123gr. SST rounds and was able to test them on a bunch of pigs this weekend. This new ammo has solved the problem. Multiple hogs down, all different sizes, and I purposely shot the smaller ones behind the should to (as close as I could) replicate a softer body of a deer. Everything went down. Ultimately, 4 of us went out to do some eradication, and we ended up with over 20 pigs removed from the property. The 6.5 Grendel accounted for 8+ of them.

Comment

Sounds like you have a handle on it now, but Hornady does offer the 6.5 in a 140 grain SST too. I shoot them out of my 6.5 Creedmoor. No complaints here.

Comment

Working...
                                X