No announcement yet.

2022 Thermal and Night Vision thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hadn’t been out in awhile. Found a couple in some think stuff with the pulsar after a few minutes and shot this one.
    Attached Files

Comment

Shotgun is the way to go when you are hunting thick areas that you cant see very far. I use turkey 3.5" 12 ga and it is great for groups of hogs. I cant get a straight answer if I can mount my Thermion on my shotgun. I know it is rated for a 12ga but it doesnt say 3.5" 12 ga.

Comment

Went out this past weekend to the lease and ended up with one hog and a fox. Trying to get the video put together. BIL shot this hog but forgot to press record on the thermal. I would have been mad at him but I have made the mistake several times myself getting caught up in the moment.
        Attached Files

Comment

Been too dang busy to hunt this past year and a half. Don’t think I’ve been out all night in over a year, and have only gone for an hour or two less than a handful of times. Sold a few of my thermals already this year. Getting rid of my last one as well as a PVS now. If things slow down next year I’ll grab another one or two then.

I’ll cut a smoking deal on a Pulsar XG50 with 2 spare batteries and rings as well as a Omni 8 PVS 14 and helmet setup. $3600 for the XG $1750 for the PVS, or $5200 together.

Comment

Oh and I guess I’ve got a like new Steiner CQBL I can throw in for some extra pesos

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
              Been too dang busy to hunt this past year and a half. Don’t think I’ve been out all night in over a year, and have only gone for an hour or two less than a handful of times. Sold a few of my thermals already this year. Getting rid of my last one as well as a PVS now. If things slow down next year I’ll grab another one or two then.

I’ll cut a smoking deal on a Pulsar XG50 with 2 spare batteries and rings as well as a Omni 8 PVS 14 and helmet setup. $3600 for the XG $1750 for the PVS, or $5200 together.
              that xg is tempting. shouldn't last long.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

2022 Thermal and Night Vision thread.

Just bought my first thermal optic from outdoor legacy gear today. AGM Asp160 monocular. Can’t wait for it to get here.

Comment

got an Adder 35-384 to try out. Impressed with the image looking at cows in the pasture. Will get it mounted and start hunting in the next couple weeks. Anyone else running one?

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
                    got an Adder 35-384 to try out. Impressed with the image looking at cows in the pasture. Will get it mounted and start hunting in the next couple weeks. Anyone else running one?

X2.

I'd like to know too. I was thinkin about getting me one of these.

Comment

Has anyone used the iRay Bolt? From some reviews I've read they say it's better than an AGM Rattler.

Comment

Friend of mine is a dealer for AGM. He has had me helping him out demoing some of the units. I had the Adder 50-384 on one of my guns for a while and the image was pretty impressive. Better than my 1rst gen Thermion XQ-50. "Maybe" the best image in a 384 thermal I have seen so far. Now I like some of the features on the Thermion better for sure. Like the recessed menu button on the knob on the side. The adder it isn't recessed and is pretty easy to bump it. By the time you get batteries and mounts on both of them they are pretty close to the same weight too. To me the Thermion has better reticles and color pallets, more options. But the Adder is a heck of a good image quality for the money. Would be very hard to beat if you are on a fairly tight budget.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                          X2.

I'd like to know too. I was thinkin about getting me one of these.
                          The Adder 384 resolution scopes are a very good value for the dollar. You can check out our reviews below. Feel free to call us if you have more questions.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX8RwlyyWbo"]Ep. 221 | AGM Adder TS35-384 and TS50-384 **REVIEW** - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFJgOBAte9o"]AGM Adder 384 BEST Under $3K?! - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Has anyone used the iRay Bolt? From some reviews I've read they say it's better than an AGM Rattler.
                            The Bolt TL35 is what we consider a "mid-range" thermal. It's in the class of the Bering Super Hogster, Thermion 2 XQ35/XQ50 Pro (XQ38's are discontinued), iRay Bravo etc. These are all very solid scopes and a good step above the entry level optics. The Bolt has been right in the mix at $3,299 for a long time but recently iRay USA is running a fall promo on the TL35 for $2,699 which is insanely cheap. So what that does is put a good mid range thermal down into the entry level thermal price range.

Above I was referencing the Adders and while we still consider them entry level image quality the are definitely a step above the rest and they sort of bridge the gap. However, the Bolt TL35 offers a better image quality than the Adders. However, the Adders still offer some benefits like a free $200 American Defense mount included, still less expensive, audio recording etc. It's too hard to compare them all here but as always, there are pros and cons to each scope. But at $2,699 the Bolt TL35's are an insanely good deal right now and they fit the bill for a lot of people and they are getting snatched up quickly. Not sure how long the deal will last.

Jason

Comment

Awesome reviews and information on both scopes. My buddy is who told me about the Bolt TL35 and the deal that iRay has on them right now as you mentioned so I was curious about that particular scope.

What I like about the AGM Adder is from the reviews it seems to have better battery life. When I go hog huntin/varmint huntin in Texas we're constantly on the go so I don't know that I'd have much time at all to recharge the scope so I'd be using the replaceable batteries more than not. I just think it would be handy to have a scope that I can pop a battery in having multiple on standby if needed. So video quality,sound and things of that nature aren't as important to me as the run time of the scope itself. The less I have to worry about it dying in the field the better.

I really think the Bolt is probably a better scope for the money and from what I have heard it has a great warranty if anything should happen. But as you mentioned both have their pros and cons. In all honesty I probably wouldn't regret buying either one. I'd just rather have the best of the two the first go round.

I appreciate you taking the time to write all of that up and post videos Jason.
                              Last edited by okrattler; 11-08-2022, 11:07 PM.

Comment

What I like about the AGM Adder is from the reviews it seems to have better battery life. When I go hog huntin/varmint huntin in Texas we're constantly on the go so I don't know that I'd have much time at all to recharge the scope so I'd be using the replaceable batteries more than not. I just think it would be handy to have a scope that I can pop a battery in having multiple on standby if needed. .......

I appreciate you taking the time to write all of that up and post videos Jason.
                                So there is a bit of confusion there. That's not how the Adder works but it is how the Bolt or Pulsar Thermions work. See the Adder has a long internal battery life but to use the removable battery (CR123) you MUST have the battery in the scope before the internal battery dies. Once the internal battery dies you can't turn the scope on from the CR123. It doesn't have the power to start the scope but it has the power to run it. So once that CR123 goes dead along with the internal, the scope is done until it's plugged into a power source to be re-charged enough to run the internal battery again. Also the CR123 is not used by the scope until the internal battery is already dead. So the CR123 is literally a last ditch effort to get you an hour or so more of run time.

On the other hand, the Bolt and Thermions use the removable battery FIRST and the internal battery last. So you can feed those scopes removable batteries until you run out of them. And it doesn't matter if the internal battery is already dead, the removable batteries will still power up and run the scope with no issue. So when it comes to batteries, the Bolts and Thermions actually hold a edge. For guys that aren't hunting very long hours like you're talking about, the Adder is great.

So again, nothing wrong with the Adder and it does have an internal battery that last a few hours longer than the Bolt but the removable battery setup is a little finicky and can basically only be used as a very short lasting emergency gas tank.

I know that's confusing but hopefully it makes sense. If not, just let me know.

Thanks for the kind words, we're always glad to help and if anyone is looking for a scope or needing help deciding exactly which model works for them, give Hans or myself a call. (877)350-1818

Jason

Comment

Working...
                                X