2022 Thermal and Night Vision thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hunterdan View Post
    I’m new to the Thermal game but recently bought a Super Hogster. I have it mounted on my 223 but what other options in the AR platform do y’all recommend? Most of my shots are under 100 yards.
    6.5 grendel is my first choice. 7.62x39 is Cheap to shoot and packs some punch. I have no experience with the 6arc but have heard good things.
    If you move up to AR 10 then .308 is probably king of the hill.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Comment

My 12 year old got a pretty good one last night. We got downwind and stalked them to about 30 yards. Got him set up on the bog death grip. I hit them with the red light and he picked one out.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Hunterdan View Post
        I’m new to the Thermal game but recently bought a Super Hogster. I have it mounted on my 223 but what other options in the AR platform do y’all recommend? Most of my shots are under 100 yards.
        6.5 Grendel is a great round. With that said just about all them will do with quality ammo and good shot placement. If you are primarily hunting hogs and you can deal with the weight of an AR10 it is hard to beat the extra power of the 308, 6.5 CM, 22-250, 243 etc.

Comment

Originally posted by RedYote View Post
          My 12 year old got a pretty good one last night. We got downwind and stalked them to about 30 yards. Got him set up on the bog death grip. I hit them with the red light and he picked one out.
          That looks like a nice sized one. That death grip helps a ton on the stalks especially when the wind is blowing.

Comment

Last pic looks like he whacked one and the rest didn't have a care?

Congrats to the young man

Comment

Originally posted by RedYote View Post
              Which way from Lubbock are you hunting? That wheat field looks familliar with that pivot and high lines in background.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                Last pic looks like he whacked one and the rest didn't have a care?

Congrats to the young man
                Thanks. I think that one was taking a nap by the time we got over there!

Originally posted by bowtecmike View Post
                Which way from Lubbock are you hunting? That wheat field looks familliar with that pivot and high lines in background.
                Its it Dickens Co. down the Spur cut off.

Comment

Had a successful outing this weekend at my lease. Video below.

I can't say enough good things about Jason from Outdoor Legacy. They called me mid day on Thursday to let me know they got my Thermion 2 LRF XP50 Pro in and I asked them to ship it on early AM delivery. They got me a fair rate on the premium for this shipping and it was at the house before 8 AM Friday so I could take it on my trip this past weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                    Had a successful outing this weekend at my lease. Video below.

I can't say enough good things about Jason from Outdoor Legacy. They called me mid day on Thursday to let me know they got my Thermion 2 LRF XP50 Pro in and I asked them to ship it on early AM delivery. They got me a fair rate on the premium for this shipping and it was at the house before 8 AM Friday so I could take it on my trip this past weekend.

https://youtu.be/FiaqmqTiWeo
                    Heck ya! Great shooting and the image quality on the Thermion 2 XP50 LRF Pro is great. The Zoom is an amazing optic as well and I keep saying it but optical zoom is THE future of thermal hunting optics!

Thank you for the kind words too sir!

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
                      Heck ya! Great shooting and the image quality on the Thermion 2 XP50 LRF Pro is great. The Zoom is an amazing optic as well and I keep saying it but optical zoom is THE future of thermal hunting optics!

Thank you for the kind words too sir!

Jason
                      Super impressed with the image quality of the XP50 Pro LRF. Couldn't be happier with the purchase. I dont need the LRF but it is neat........ probably not $1k neat for the type of hunting I do.

Optical magnification on the InfiRay Zoom unit is awesome. When it is offered in a scope (hopefully is is 2x base to 4x optical) I wil be in line to buy one.

Comment

We got on a pretty good sounder last night. I got a little lost for 3-4 seconds after the initial shot with pigs crossing opposite directions. But then I settled in, picked a direction, and started laying them down. Even got a running double (actually a double/double, my bullet passed through and hit both pigs, and my partner shot at the same time, also hitting the back pig). We loaded up 10 out of the field, plus had one hit really hard that made it out into the brush. Also killed 2 coyotes while we were loading up pigs. Not bad for a 3 hour hunt from time I left until I got back home.

The old Gen 1 Thermion XQ50 I got from Jason is still doing solid work. No idea how many pigs and coyotes it has killed, but it is a bunch.

We were both shooting 6.5 Grendels, his with factory 123, and mine with Sierra 85 HP reloads. I have the parts, powder, and bullets to convert my backup gun over to a 300 HAMR though, and plan to really give it a good workout and thorough testing soon. Pretty excited about that. I think it will do really well on the type of shooting I do.

Video link:

I would post a picture, but for some reason this forum hates my Imagur links and makes the pics the size of a house. No need to subject you guys to that, lol.

Comment

Okay just bear with me, going to try some different options on the links and see if I can make it post the picture decent.

Comment

Right on. Got the last pic to work finally, I'll post some more pics from previous hunts to see if I can make it work consistently.

Sow in this pic was 278.

Comment

Comment

I have been making a few custom wood coyote calls here the last couple months for friends and family. Mostly closed reed distress, just playing around on the wood lathe. I sure do like killing coyotes with calls I have made myself. Here are a couple pics of a few of the coyotes we have killed with my calls and the calls we used.

Comment

Working...
                                X