2022 Thermal and Night Vision thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
    What do y'all think of the ATN Thor as a starter thermal? My buddy has the very first one they came out with and he's had good luck with it.
    I would stay away from atn anything. Brother bought one and had nothing but hell from it. And everyone I have known has had issues with theirs. What's your budget? Lots of more budget friendly options these days out there that would be better than the atn

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
      First time hunting with the Wraith 2x. I like the scope, but would like to upgrade the illuminator. Any suggestions?
      Sniper hog lights 66lrx will do that unit a lot of good.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
        Sniper hog lights 66lrx will do that unit a lot of good.

Also look at the 50 LRX, it is a little more compact. It is what I'm using with my Wraith 2x and I can see farther than I would ever imagine shooting.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
          I would stay away from atn anything. Brother bought one and had nothing but hell from it. And everyone I have known has had issues with theirs. What's your budget? Lots of more budget friendly options these days out there that would be better than the atn

I plan on getting two. Preferably not much over $3,000. One will be on a fairly short range weapon. So I don't suppose it has to be the best available that's why I figured I'd get a $3,000 one for the longer range gun and getting like a $1500 one for the short range gun. I was thinking of getting a Pulsar Thermion for one of them because it doesn't look bulky. It's actually more like a traditional rifle scope which I do like. I don't want anything too bulky.

Comment

I have the 50 LRX. If you use code TBH10 you get 10% off.

Comment

Originally posted by GregO View Post
              Also look at the 50 LRX, it is a little more compact. It is what I'm using with my Wraith 2x and I can see farther than I would ever imagine shooting.
              Guesstimate of how far you can see? I can see about 175 with the stock IR; I’d like to be able to SEE at least 500. I won’t be shooting that far, but I’d like to see that far.

Comment

Guesstimate of how far you can see? I can see about 175 with the stock IR; I’d like to be able to SEE at least 500. I won’t be shooting that far, but I’d like to see that far.
                I'm not really sure. It's rare for me to even have a place that I can see beyond 200 or 300 yards. Even at those ranges I'm only turning the light up to the low-medium setting. That's a great question. I'll have it out this weekend and I'll check out how far I can really "see" with it.

Comment

well , got my new thermal replacement in the mail the other day .. this one the date code is dec 2021 , and so far it looks flawless ... they also added some swag for my trouble.. we'll see if this one lasts , but the image definitely looks good!

Comment

I know the 66lrx will for sure be able to. I can see steel out to 7-800 with a red bulb in so the IR should get that far at least. Now if the optic can do it I don't know.

Comment

Looking for some advice before I waste a bunch of money. I have a .50 Beowulf that I was planning on putting a thermal on. I was looking at the Rattler 35. I know that AGM states it can handle the recoil of a 308, but I'm saying the recoil of my Wulf is less than my 270. Although I haven't crunched any numbers yet. So my question would be, has anyone had experience with this? I currently run the Sightmark Wraith on my Wulf and have not had any problems, and have done several mag dumps on sounders running across my farm, and the Wraith keeps on ticking. Would any venture to guess that the Rattler can hold up as well? Thanks for your input.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GregO View Post

Do you get a color light or IR. If IR which wave length? Using with a wraith…

Comment

Originally posted by J-Carp View Post
                          That depends [emoji56]

I ran the 850nm IR light on my Wraith before i got my thermal. When I used it in Night Mode

I imagine you might be able to run a colored or white bulb in the light and use the Wraith in Day mode @ night.
                          I personally never tried it. I wonder if @gonehuntin68 has tried it?

Sniper Hawg Lights upgraded their lights a few years back and they're getting more range out of them. So you could use the 50LRX and get similar distance to the 66LRX.

Comment

I been using my Halo 50x for about 10 days and I love it!

Glad I sold my Trijicon Reap and made the switch. Much better, recording and better batteries.

Pretty slick scope and now may upgrade my Iray 384

Comment

Originally posted by J-Carp View Post
                              850nm IR

Comment

Originally posted by MONSTERKEN View Post
                                Looking for some advice before I waste a bunch of money. I have a .50 Beowulf that I was planning on putting a thermal on. I was looking at the Rattler 35. I know that AGM states it can handle the recoil of a 308, but I'm saying the recoil of my Wulf is less than my 270. Although I haven't crunched any numbers yet. So my question would be, has anyone had experience with this? I currently run the Sightmark Wraith on my Wulf and have not had any problems, and have done several mag dumps on sounders running across my farm, and the Wraith keeps on ticking. Would any venture to guess that the Rattler can hold up as well? Thanks for your input.
                                According to online recoil charts a .308 has a recoil energy of up to 18.1 ft/lbs. A .270 is 17.1 and a .50 Beowulf is 25.4. That means the .50 Beowulf has 40% more recoil than the .308 that the scope is rated for. Proceed with caution knowing you're using a $2,500 scope outside of it's warranty rated recoil range.

No one is saying it won't hold up but if it's doesn't, you could have an expensive paper weight.

Comment

Working...
                                X