Question about Rifle Stock and Recoil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cottonfish View Post
    I kind of have the same issue with an older M700 Classic in 7RM, it has the old brown Remington recoil pad that is now petrified. That, and age is creeping up on me as it is for all of us, and I just don't like much recoil anymore (still don't feel it when shooting at game). I'm considering the investment in a replacement pad like a Pachmayr Decelerator, don't feel it will detract from the gun's appearance at all. I'm keeping the original stock, it has too much character and hunting history to do away with.

I've always used a PAST recoil shield when shooting it from the bench, helps a bunch. If you handload, you can also mix some loads that produce lower recoil and are still useful in the field. May not be full bore 7RM performance, but still stout. I used some older Winchester brass, H4350, and 154gr Hornady Spire Points and got a milder recoiling 3050fps load that will still deal a hand of grief to whitetails. Stu

^^^This^^^ I have an older M77 270 that is brutal with factory loads. I had a friend load some rounds that are so light on recoil I let my girls shoot it and I saw zero drop in deer and pig killings. Now don't get me wrong we don't try stretching it out much beyond 125-150. It may still get the job done out that far but we just don't try it.

Comment

MERCURY RECOIL SUPPRESSORS, RECOIL REDUCTION, REDUCE RECOIL IN SHOTGUNS AND RIFLES

A friend of mine used the mercury tube in the buttstock of a .300 weatherly mag. Felt recoil was similar to .243. Planning to add this to my old model 70 Winchester 7mag. That thing kicks like a mule.

Comment

I have the exact same gun. M77 in 7mag from 1984. I killed a ton of deer with it but I guess I got old as well. Kicks like a mule and I just don’t want to shoot it anymore. I tried several different pads to no avail. Put a suppressor on it is the best way I know to reduce the recoil.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
          Kick eez recoil pads work very well.

Stock ergonomics can absolutely help. Tremendously.
          Truth!

Comment

not sure why.. has an m77 30/06 ... kicked like a mule. more than my boss's 340 weatherby magnum .. he shot my gun once and put it down ... tried pads .. no bueno ..

then i won a muzzle break + install at my club.. got it put on and made a world of difference .. loud , but kicked like a 243 after that .. that's what i'd recommend

Comment

Originally posted by Goldensammy View Post
              I have a Ruger M77 7mm that my father purchased back in the mid 80s. I have used it for roughly 25 years now. It is all original and it is even still topped with the same 3x9 leupold scope he put on it the day he bought it. He killed many deer with it, as have I.

In the last couple of years, I have gotten to the point where I hate shooting the rifle due to the recoil. It is just not enjoyable, especially on the range. Lately, I have opted for my 25-06 or 7mm-08. I hate to modify the rifle (call it nostalgia, if you will) but I also hate to see it sit and collect dust.

So, to my point:
              Would an aftermarket stock help with reduce recoil? Do ergonomics play a role in that? If I were to replace the stock, I would like to get something in a wood finish similar to the original stock. If you have a recommendation on style or brand of stock, please share.
              keep the original stock and get you a nice boyds thumbhole model,,, i noticed a reduction on one i had years ago

Comment

Get a new stock and put the original stock in the closet. That way you can change back when you want to. I new stock should not require any rifle modifications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I went with a limbsaer on my tikka 7 mag. It made a huge difference.

Comment

Originally posted by doeboy11 View Post
                    I saw some reduce recoil ammo in 7mm,you can try that
                    Thats where I would go too...Other than You could calm it down with some reloads..on liteside...Probably get it down to the 7-08 level pretty easy

Comment

Originally posted by kcnatural View Post
                      Maybe a limbsaver recoil pad that just slips on over the stock. That way there is no modification to the gun.
                      Sounds like you problem could be your birth certificate. As above, just slide the recoil pad on when using it then take it back off until next hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by doright View Post
                        I went with a limbsaer on my tikka 7 mag. It made a huge difference.
                        They do work good until they melt. Then it's a mess.

Comment

Working...
                        X