No announcement yet.

Match ammo for deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 155 gn Hornady A Max in .308 kills critters pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Your Berger VLDs were built to be a match bullet until guys shooting critters found out they work well for hunting also.

Comment

great results with Amax and ELDM from .223 up to .308 and from Coues Deer to Red Stag-- was my only option on that big critter.

Only 'match' bullet that I've had inconsistent results with was 75gr BTHP shooting blackbucks and WT does

Comment

I’ve shot a lot of animals with a 105 Hybrid and 108 ELDM. Only 5-6 deer, but a quite few truckloads of hogs. They never had any issues when I did my part.

Comment

I shoot Hornady ELD M out of my 6.5 CM, 224 Valk, and 6mm CM and have never had an issue. If they shoot accurate out of your rifle and you’re confident in shot placement, they will die! From neck and head shots, to behind the shoulder, they all hit the dirt.

Comment

considering the amount of deer taken by poachers with 22lr .. they all work depending on shot placement . if you can shoot sub moa consistently , a deer doesn't stand a chance . biggest buck i ever shot was 223 to the neck .
              some people couldn't bring meat on the table with a howitzer .

energy is energy and temporary shock cavity is as devastating as the permanent one.
              never seen a deer shot in the heart where .360 expansion killed it but .264 wouldn't have.

now if you shoot something really big like an elephant or something .. the bullet has to have enough energy and stay together to get to the vitals ... but a texas size deer ... it doesn't matter ...

texas parks and wildlife allows any centerfire for deer .. if there was an issue , they would have restrictions .. like they do in other states with bigger animals

now some bullets stay together better and have complete passthrough and better blood trail ... but dead is dead ... if you made a good shot and had to track the deer 200 yards ... my opinion is you could have made a better shot and drop it in it's tracks ..

shot a deer in oklahoma years ago from around 275 yards with a 300 blk 110gr .. went between ribs and hit the heart .. then between ribs again and out .. not so sure it even expanded at all .. deer stood there , then fell over .. don't think it even realized it got shot ... shot another with 165gr bal tip 30/06 and heart was gone ... wasn't even 100 yards away but ran over 80 yards ...
              Attached Files

Comment

I use Hornady ELD-M for deer, never had one go far maybe 20 yrs most drop where they stand.

Comment

There’s a cull buck laying in the trees I shot about half an hour ago with a 108 eldm from my 6 creed. He dropped right there like most all do. Killed a bunch of deer with the 108s and only one ran about 30 yards. Tried em at all angles. They wreck a whitetail.

Comment

Eldm is a much better hunting bullet than eldx imo

Comment

Working...
                    X