Lever Action 45 Colt and 25-20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lever Action 45 Colt and 25-20

About to start reloading for 45 Colt and 25-20 Winchester. Any recommendations on projectiles before I get started? Figured I would tap the green screen knowledge base before I went and bought anything.

Thanks in advance

Powder recommendations also pleas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Anyone?

Comment

I only have experience with the 45 colt, and only in revolvers but it will carryover the same. For powder, it's hard to beat H110 in this caliber. The only other one I'd consider is 2400.

As far as projectiles for the 45, I'd need to know what you are planning to do with it. Target shooting only? Hunting deer/hogs? Hunting Elk? Etc.

If it's primarily a hunting gun and for deer/hogs, I'd start with the Hornady XTP line. Inexpensive and usually super easy to get an accurate load worked up. And my experience with the XTPs in Texas have all been positive. I've used them in 41, 44, 45, and 454.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Comment

How old is the gun in Question. This could make a big difference on the reloading data and the charge put behind the bullet!

Comment

Unique, Power Pistol, Blue dot also.

I used cast 255 grn Keith style bullets. XTPs will work fine also. I sold my 92 because the guts of that Taurus looked like it was whittled out by a middle schooler with a sloppy lathe. Wished I had it back now.

Comment

The hornady XTP at levergun speeds deadly on deer.
              There are 2 variants made so be careful.
              One is designed for the 454 casull
              The other for the slower colt.
              You can tell because the 454 has 2 grooves
              Vs a single groove for the colt.
              Use the colt bullet and it the added velocity expands
              It beautifully.

Comment

Both are old guns. Pretty sure they have both only shot cast bullets. I just don't want to mess with casting my own bullets.

Comment

Working...
                X