No announcement yet.

Barrel cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For carbon get some CLR. I only use it on stainless barrels.

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
      I'm sitting here thinking the same thing. Probably doing more damage than good with all that cleaning.
      Well at this point you would be very wrong, did not put much thought into that statement before you made it.

If the barrel is thoroughly coated in a combination of copper and carbon, and you have not even gotten through that stuff, there is zero chance you doing anything to the barrel that’s harmful. once you have the contaminants out of the barrel, then with a lot of work, you could possibly, do damage to the barrel.

At this point the groups are a hell of a lot better, than when I finally got the barrel clean. For five to ten rounds, it shot like crap, then it filled the barrel back in with copper, then the groups got a lot better. After the abrasive bullets, it shoots the same with the barrel clean or fouled. Pretty much puts them through the same hole, from clean to fouled, then the fouling is not anywhere near as bad as it was.

Comment

Originally posted by kck View Post
        I'm exhausted from reading... This is all that's needed. If the gun doesn't shoot then true action and re-barrel or sell it. I use KG stuff but the JB paste, some kroil and a few strokes will clean it. Run a few rounds to foul and go shoot.

This has been extremely ridiculous. To get clean, the first time. Then after only shooting 30 rounds through it, it had so much copper back in the barrel. It was hard to believe it was possible. Then again, even with a good copper solvent, it took quite a bit of time to get it clean again.

If I could find another barrel a fouled as bad as this one was, I love to watch and some of these other people try and get it clean. It’s not anything like you think. There was so much copper and carbon packed in that barrel, it was nuts. It was like trying to sweep a dirt floor clean of dirt.

Comment

Try iosso paste did stripping it down to bare metal.

Comment

Mind posting pics of before and after groups? If improved that much, I could maybe entertain the time it takes to actually clean mine.

I’m in the camp of, I don’t clean until I can’t hit what I’m shooting at. Only have 2 that will do 1/2” or better. That’s good enough For me. That’s with factory ammo.

I don’t shoot competitions or anything of that sort. Just bang Steel in my back yard.

Comment

Working...
            X