Pre 64 stock refinish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre 64 stock refinish

I have a pre 64 in 257 Roberts that the stock is a little beat up on. It’s a 1936 model so rightfully so. Anyone y’all would recommend to send it to for a refinish?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't do it. That gun has earned those marks and it will probably devalue the gun.

Comment

I'd re stock it before I had someone sand off value

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

You can refinish it and make it look very nice, I have done so many times. But it will definitely hurt the value. A model 70 of that age, I flat would not do anything to, other than store it so it does not get any worse. I would shoot it some, but don't try restoring it, collectors, more so old Winchester collectors that really know their stuff, will pick it out and the value will drop dramatically.

I had a 1947 model 94 some years ago. That thing was beat to hell and back. It had obviously been used as a utility tool, probably used to fix fences and whatever else needed a pry bar or a hammer, for many years. It had some dings in it, to put it mildly. I restored it and made that gun look like it had lived a papered life. That killed the value.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
          I'd re stock it before I had someone sand off value

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
          This is what I have done with my pre-64.

Comment

Ok thanks I guess I’ll leave it alone. My kid has killed 4 deer with it and I’ve killed one. Shoots about an inch or a little less even with Core lokts and the old fixed 7 leupold on it.

Comment

Never selling mine and keeping it in the family. I refinished my 1958 featherweight 243. Takes a good 6 weeks to do it right with tru oil. Shot 1 inch groups today with Leupold 6x.

Comment

Originally posted by Dmcgee View Post
                Ok thanks I guess I’ll leave it alone. My kid has killed 4 deer with it and I’ve killed one. Shoots about an inch or a little less even with Core lokts and the old fixed 7 leupold on it.

Good choice IMHO.

Comment

If you just HAVE to you would be best served sending here. But I'd leave it.

Your first stop for pre 64 Winchester model 70 rifles & gun parts. pre64win.com is a dedicated site for collectors and shooters of the the Rifleman's Rifle.

Comment

Blasphemy

[emoji1662]

Comment

These guys are the only one to consider for a pre-war winchester...might as well have them tackle the metal too, but ya better hang onto the wallet as it will likely cost the same to replace with a minty original.

Firearm Restoration & Manufacturing. Antique restoration and bluing services. Featuring Colt 1911 and 1886 Winchester manufactured reproductions .

Comment

Working...
                      X