Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Tell me about Over/under shotguns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tell me about Over/under shotguns

SKB or Ithaca makes an adorable quality gun that can be found used well under $1k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm more than happy with Franchi (made by Beretta I believe).
      Was sub $1k back when I bought it, may not be now.

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
        Ok. Besides putting a recoil pad on it is there any other remedies to help on the recoil?

Originally posted by Artos View Post
        If the intended use is for dove / quail, then simply use lighter oz target loads with a FPS of 1200 & under...you don't need the big box store push of those loads that are max dram behind max amounts of lead.
        ^This.

Recoil from a double barrel isn't bad if a gun fits you well and you're not shooting 3" heavy loads. They NEVER jam. You can use 2 different chokes at a time, one for close shots and one for longer shots. And they're just cooler than pumps and semis.

Comment

I really can't believe all these grown "men" complaining about recoil of a 12 gauge shotgun!!
          The best way to reduce recoil if you really want to is to learn to shoot and drop down in gauge... That's what I did... I use a .410 for upland birds and a 20 gauge for ducks... Ain't hunted geese in a while...

If you're really concerned with how bad the gun's gonna kick, get you a gas operated semi-auto so you won't hurt your poor little shoulder...

Comment

Daaaaaammmmmmmnnnnnn!

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
            I guess I am “recoil sensitive!”

…and get in a hurry and hold shotgun a little low to the arm when a big group comes thru.

Shot fine. Kicks like mule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
            You win the “Stubborn as a Mule Bruise” Award!!!

Comment

I guess I am “recoil sensitive!”

…and get in a hurry and hold shotgun a little low to the arm when a big group comes thru.

Shot fine. Kicks like mule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Must be a yildez

Comment

Anybody that recoil sensitive they can't shoot a 100 rounds from stack barrel should probably just quit and start wearing Daisey Dukes.

Comment

Ruger red label would be another O/U to look for that’s regarded as quality and typically sub $1,000.

A lot of upland guns are designed to be carried all day and shot a handful of times on pheasant, chukar, grouse, etc. A light weight fixed breach gun is going to kick more than an 8 1/2 lb semi auto, it doesn’t make it “junk” because it kicks.

One of the reasons guys say to avoid the Yildiz, etc is that they will randomly change or discontinue them and you can’t get parts any more. Then you’ve got a paperweight over a broken barrel selector or firing pin. Happened to me with my 28 gauge Weatherby. Great gun, just glad nothing’s broken yet.

Also, break action guns wear over time, and if they aren’t built correctly they can develop slop and not lock up securely, basically garbage at that point.

I still don’t own an O/U or SXS, every time I get close to buying something I tell myself to just wait snd get a Beretta. Hasn’t happened yet with spending so much on “bannable things” the last couple years.
                  Last edited by gatorgrizz27; 10-10-2021, 06:14 AM.

Comment

Ruger red label is a good o/u shotgun but I wouldn’t call it a sub $1000 gun, they often go for much more considering their discontinued and have a small fan base similar to sendero rifles. The last couple used ones I saw were around $1500 for the base model used. The engraved red labels are $2k-$3k

Comment

A well loved older browning citori would work well for your purpose and budget.

See them often under 1k.

Comment

Beretta made a model called the Whitewing. We paid $1000.00 for it back in the day. Dang fine over and under for the money, but good luck finding one.

Comment

Ever been on blood thinners?
                          I’m glad you said that. I was going to suggest you get checked out by a Dr for that kind of bruising from the aforementioned type of impact.

Comment

One on Gunbroker right now.

Comment

I really wanted beretta onyx, but got a franchi instinct instead as it was less money but still made by beretta. Love it so far, I got it in 20 gauge and i am very happy with it.

Comment

Originally posted by bmac View Post
                                Must be a yildez

Wow, a little low ? That’s way low. And it looks pretty painful, did you learn your lesson or will have to wait until next time you shoot it, to see ?

Comment

Working...
                                X