X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worlds cheapest trimmer lol

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

So how well does the WCT work? I notice it does not have a bearing in it. Is it something that would be good for low volume only, or do you think it would run hundreds of cases no problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
        So how well does the WCT work? I notice it does not have a bearing in it. Is it something that would be good for low volume only, or do you think it would run hundreds of cases no problem?
        Im only now starting to experiment with it. I bought a few hundred cases from Wilson to get me started.

Im not sure on the exact way ill be forming these yet but will be very similar the the 300BO, however ive noticed some slight differences especially where the upper case wall is formed and where/rather to make my first cut. Ive made a few with and without (the rough cut) and i want this brass too last since its so much work (kinda).

So far so good but ive only done a few. The jury is still out on the WCT. Ill also give an update on the 3d printed one as soon as it comes in.

Comment

I decided on my forming system based off of the comments from djones and the Oink crew over on the THF thread. My first 200 really went pretty smooth. It made good brass that shot well. Only thing I felt could have gone smoother was the necking up. Going all the way from 22 to 30 in one pass with the full length sizer was for sure doable, but a littler rougher than I wanted. It sure helps having most of the neck chopped off in the cutoff saw first. It would have been pretty rough with a full length neck. Lost about 6-7 cases in that first batch of 200, and somewhere along the way bent my decapping stem and had to replace it.

Bending the stem is why I decided this time to run it through that cheap Lee expanding die first. I'll have to decide which mandrel I will use in it once it comes in next week, but I'm thinking 7mm. Go from 22 to 7mm with the expander, then just run it through the full length die to finish. Then anneal a second time after I am done. I could do it for sure with less steps but I have plenty of time and want good cases when I am done.

Cutting to length in the little Harbor freight mini saw with the jig is really fast and easy. Money well spent IMO as it saves time and effort in other steps. 1.603" is max case length (SAAMI) with a min spec of -.015, which puts it at 1.588" min. trim length. I shoot for a 1.590" finished. Maybe a touch short but I don't like trimming all the time. Djones says set the saw to cut at 1.630", but for sure you could get away with less if you were careful and wanted to trim less in the final step.

Probably you know all of this, but the info may be useful for someone else as well.

Comment

Not gonna lie. This trimmer is the bomb. I wish I would have had one of these a long time ago.

Comment

Finally loaded up some tnts and some xtremes.

Hope to make it to the range this week.

Comment

Tnt

Comment

Tnt's are good for deer if you stay away from the shoulder. 130 hot cores and the 135 ftx are the hog slayers. I built mine a year ago and it has killed over 30 pigs, 4 deer, a couple rabbits and a bunch of coons. It's basically a 30-30 in an ar platform, with good brass and uses hardly any powder. I've smoked everything I pulled the trigger on with it so far with 0 complaints. 300 blk isn't in the same league.

Comment

Originally posted by AJACKS View Post
                    Tnt's are good for deer if you stay away from the shoulder. 130 hot cores and the 135 ftx are the hog slayers. I built mine a year ago and it has killed over 30 pigs, 4 deer, a couple rabbits and a bunch of coons. It's basically a 30-30 in an ar platform, with good brass and uses hardly any powder. I've smoked everything I pulled the trigger on with it so far with 0 complaints. 300 blk isn't in the same league.

So how is the 300 BO “not in the same league”?

The case design is only slightly different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Well here we go.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Got muh barrel in today

Comment

I say that the 300 blk is not in the same league for numerous reasons but mainly because of the design approach. The blk is barreled with fast twist barrels for subs where the hamr is designed to run 110-150 grain bullets supersonic, so the 13 or 15 twist barels offered by Wilson do promote far more accuracy. The hamr has more velocity due to increased powder space. That extra velocity makes bullets actually expand and perform rather than punch a hole. I've used both, and I'm not going to say that the blk is junk, but it doesn't perform even close to the hamr on larger hogs or even deer.

Comment

Originally posted by AJACKS View Post
                            I say that the 300 blk is not in the same league for numerous reasons but mainly because of the design approach. The blk is barreled with fast twist barrels for subs where the hamr is designed to run 110-150 grain bullets supersonic, so the 13 or 15 twist barels offered by Wilson do promote far more accuracy. The hamr has more velocity due to increased powder space. That extra velocity makes bullets actually expand and perform rather than punch a hole. I've used both, and I'm not going to say that the blk is junk, but it doesn't perform even close to the hamr on larger hogs or even deer.

What velocity do you see with say 110 TAC-TX bullet?

I don’t have a full length barrel but my 8” Noveske SBR gets 2315 with them. And the accuracy ain’t too shabby either. This is at 250 or 300 yards, I can’t remember. Barrel is 8 twist.

First shot dialed too high next 2 corrected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

2315 sounds like a hot load out of a 8 inch barrel. But I run a 110 vmax at 2600 plus or minus 10 for typically a .6 moa group. 130s I run at 2550. We don’t run the tac x bullets because they’re to long for optimum case capacity. If you wants subs then yea a 300blk is a better option for supers the hamr does a better job.

You don’t use socket to pull a nail nor a hamr to tighten a bolt, it’s about using the right tool for what your trying to accomplish

Comment

I've never ran the 110 barnes, nor do I have a chronograph. But I will say that if you can get ahold of some 135 gr ftx, you'll be impressed. Bill Wilson states that they couldn't fit enough powder in the case to really get the 110 grain bullets to perform to their liking so I've stayed away (minus a box of factory stuff). I'm at work so I don't have load info but from memory I'll share what I've tried so far.
                                125 sierra hp (old 30-30) bullet. Shot great, won't feed
                                125 speer tnt. Shots .75, grenades an anything it touches
                                125 nos btip. Sub 1 in,never hunted with
                                130 speer hotcore hamr, shoots 1/2 inch at Wilson's max, penetrates and kills great, doesn't carry as far due to blunt shape
                                130 Sierra varminter, shoots over an inch, very volatile, varmint only. 25ish lb coon stopped it.
                                135 hornady ftx, sub 1/2 inch, dropped big hogs, 2fers on smaller pigs, great for deer, all around my favorite
                                150 Sierra varminter. Ridiculously volatile. I thought that at hamr speeds it would hold together but 1 blew up on a doe shoulder and the second one behind the shoulder didn't exit. Varmint only

Comment

Working...
                                X