10mm vs 44mag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
    2 different class of rounds in my opinion, I have both.

Obviously the 10mm can put a lot of stout fire power down range quickly with much easier follow up shots but the 44 mag wins in ever other way.

A 200gr 10mm is pretty stout but doesn’t touch a 240+gr 44 magnum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This. When knock down matters and you have limited time, I'd go .44 every time

Comment

Why not .50 Action Express?
      Why not .50 GI?
      Why not .475 Wildey Magnum?
      Why not .475 AutoMag?
      Why not .451 Detonics?
      Why not .45 Winchester Magnum?
      Why not .45 Super?
      Why not .45 Mars?
      Why not .45 Wildey Magum
      Why not .44 AutoMag?
      Why not .44 Magnum?
      Why not .44 Wildey Magnum?
      Why not .440 Corbon?
      Why not .41 Wildey Magnum?
      Why not .41 Magnum?

Myself I might go for a 460 Rowland. About 200FPE more than a 10mm
      Buffalo Bore ammo
      .460 Rowland®
      255 gr. HC-FN @ 1,300 fps / 957 ft. lbs.

On the other hand the Widley .475 automag might be better.
      Last edited by muzzlebrake; 09-02-2021, 09:59 AM.

Comment

What are you more comfortable shooting a revolver or auto? Can you draw and hit a plate at close range with both? If you miss it does not matter how big the bullet is.

Comment

Comment

.44Mag all the way to the skull.

Comment

If you make a one shot stop on a charging grizzly with a handgun, you better go buy a lottery ticket. It could happen, but probably won’t.

Comment

The only thing I’ve ever killed that was trying to hurt me was a 175 lb. boar hog. One 10mm round to the head killed him graveyard dead. I had 20 feet to make that shot as he started from a standing start. When he slid to a stop he was almost touching my feet. Oh yeah, he was in a round trap If he hadn’t been I would probably have missed his head, but knowing he couldn’t get to me made me as cool as John Wick. If I were in grizz country I’d probably be toting a 12 gauge with slugs in it and I wouldn’t have it slung on my shoulder either.

Comment

Wyoming guide told me the one time he was changed by a griz that pistol was shaking so bad he could not hit a thing, but better than nothing.

Comment

1 shot, 44 mag nothing to think about...

for ease of use, ammo capacity accuracy and multiple fast and accurate shots, 10mm all the way...

i have had both and am good with both,,, i would probably carry the 10mm because i am more likely to have it easy to reach than a 44 mag, and faster to draw it...

Comment

Thanks for the opinions

If carrying a shotgun during archery season is an option that would be my choice. I doubt the law allows for that but you never know

The reasoning for 1 shot is I figure you will not have much notice when it happens and bear will be on you by 2nd shot so it would just be a matter of trying to get the muzzle aimed toward body and try to empty whatever you had

Comment

Sir, please carry the 10mm with Underwood or Buffalo bore.

Fact is you don’t know how many shots you’ll get off at the bear and they can be on you fast. Even if you are on the ground that auto might save your life.

So I’m sure many might not like what I’m gonna type here but here goes. The 44 Mag is .429 compared to .40. The 44 mag firepower is more relevant with a hollow point or JSP than with a hardcast. If using hardcast, a hole is a hole in this situation and a hit or as many hits as you can get is the objective.

Watch this video and decide if you wanna face off like Wyatt Earp with one well placed shot.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8R9fwsEA6M"]Bear Charging Hunters Stopped Dead In Tracks - YouTube[/ame]
                        Last edited by Voodoo; 09-02-2021, 08:49 PM.

Comment

one shot 44 would be my choice.

Comment

10mm or 45 with a big clip… that’s what my buddy’s up here carry.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post

Myself I might go for a 460 Rowland. About 200FPE more than a 10mm
                              Buffalo Bore ammo
                              .460 Rowland®
                              255 gr. HC-FN @ 1,300 fps / 957 ft. lbs.
                              Yep, I much prefer the 460 in an autoloader than the 10mm. In a 1911 with a 10 rd mag, is a lot of pain.
                              Last edited by sir shovelhands; 09-02-2021, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Those two aren’t even close to the same league. Nothing wrong with a 10, but for grizzlies?…44 at minimum.

Comment

Working...
                                X