Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

6.5 PRC bullet for elk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5 PRC bullet for elk

Guys I got a rifle elk hunt this October in Colorado and have a couple questions for y'all. I was going to take my 7mag shooting 160gr accubonds on this hunt which I know can take down a big bull elk, but I just got my APR in 6.5 PRC and of course would like to take it. I've watched videos and have read forums about shooting elk with the 6.5 and of course some say yes no problem some same not big enough for elk. I've seen videos where guys have shot the elk multiple times in the shoulder area and it just stood there not even flinching and finally after several seconds it falls over and have also seen videos where they just drop. I believe the guys were shooting the 143eldx and when they went up to the elk there wasnt very much blood coming out and dont know if the bullets exited. Has anyone here shot elk with the 6.5 and what were your results? I'm about to start reloading for it I have 140gr accubonds, 156gr bergers, and 127gr lrx which would you use? I have never hunted with bergers before and again reviews I've read are mixed. Spoke with the guide and shots will be from 100yds-300yds. I know its all about shot placement and staying in a good range which I'm not shooting very far so guys let me here y'alls advice. Sorry for the long read.

For the shot ranges you listed, a 140g Accubond would be my choice. I have mixed reviews on the bergers in my own experiences and personally would look toward something a little tougher for an elk. (Not that the Berger would not be adequate, because I am certain it would be). The 127 lrx is a slick little bullet but with the extra horsepower of the PRC, I would lean toward something a tad heavier. I think the 140 accubond is the pick out of the 3 that you listed. ANd you are correct, shot placement makes all the difference. I killed a large bodied bull with a 100g cor-lokt out of a 25-06, 1 shot double lung, avoided large locomotive muscles and bone, and he was dead on his feet, expired where he was standing a few seconds after the shot. Good luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rocksprings2017 View Post
      Guys I got a rifle elk hunt this October in Colorado and have a couple questions for y'all. I was going to take my 7mag shooting 160gr accubonds on this hunt which I know can take down a big bull elk, but I just got my APR in 6.5 PRC and of course would like to take it. I've watched videos and have read forums about shooting elk with the 6.5 and of course some say yes no problem some same not big enough for elk. I've seen videos where guys have shot the elk multiple times in the shoulder area and it just stood there not even flinching and finally after several seconds it falls over and have also seen videos where they just drop. I believe the guys were shooting the 143eldx and when they went up to the elk there wasnt very much blood coming out and dont know if the bullets exited. Has anyone here shot elk with the 6.5 and what were your results? I'm about to start reloading for it I have 140gr accubonds, 156gr bergers, and 127gr lrx which would you use? I have never hunted with bergers before and again reviews I've read are mixed. Spoke with the guide and shots will be from 100yds-300yds. I know its all about shot placement and staying in a good range which I'm not shooting very far so guys let me here y'alls advice. Sorry for the long read.
      You won't see exit every time with 143 ELDX, but it literally liquefies hearts and lungs.

I don't have experience with in in PRC, but I do Creedmoor so I imagine that extra velocity can only help it.

I've shot many deer and hogs with it and they are DRT or no more than 10 yards.

Comment

For Elk, I would go with the Accubonds.

Comment

I haven’t shot an elk with a 6.5 but dang sure wouldn’t be scared to..
          If the Accubonds shoot well in your gun i’d go with them and the 127gr lrx as my second choice.
          Personally I’d stay away from the eld x and Berger’s for big bull elk

Comment

Accubonds have dropped three elk for me.

Comment

At 300 yards or less any of those are killin, just good steady rest, nice shot placement. Should work out fine for ya.

As mentioned, the 140 accubonds would be my 1st choice.

Comment

We've shot several elks with 6.5 140gr berger out to 800+ yards with no issues. Most being 450-650yds. We've shot couple cow elks with the 147 match also. It's all about shot placement.

Comment

I would shoot the 7mm mag and 160's myself.

I killed a big bull with a .257 wby mag and 110 grain accubonds but I would like the little extra horsepower of the 7mm mag.

That said, the 6.5 PRC is certainly capable to down an elk
                  Last edited by txtrophy85; 08-02-2021, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Not that I have a ton experience with elk, but Accubonds did the trick for me last year on a cow elk

Comment

You will get a lot of opinions on this and certainly with the 6.5 popularity you will hear it is plenty of gun for elk. The PRC gives you more horsepower and a lot of people hunt elk with it up here.
                      Personally, I think the 6.5 PRC is a great deer, Antelope and sheep caliber but for elk, I want to anchor them where they stand or very close to it.
                      My choice would be the 7 mag with the Accubond bullet.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Multiple people that I loaded for while running a small ammo shop used a 6.5 SAUM with 143 ELD-X on their elk and never had any issues. They either dropped there or took a couple steps and dropped.

I plan to use the same on a NM Bull elk hunt in 2022 and two others will be using their 6.5 SAUMs too, likely with 143’s as well.

PRC and SAUM are close enough that I wouldn’t hesitate to run that option in a PRC.

Comment

I would take my .264 Mag with the same 140gr Core Lokts I’ve shot everything else with, no reason the PRC wouldnt work just as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well thanks guys for all the advice I still got a little over 2.5 months before my hunt and still need to work up a load for the PRC. Seems like majority say the PRC with accubonds will work and a couple say take the 7mag. I got time to decide on which one will be going on this hunt. Keep sending me y'alls thoughts I do appreciate it.

Comment

I have killed an oryx, a nilgai, and a pile of pigs with the 143 eldx's out of my 6.5 prc. I haven't had to track any of them. I also can't remember a single exit wound. I am a BIG fan of the frontal shot. It just flat puts them down.

Comment

Working...
                              X