AR10 magnum bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AR10 magnum bolt

Has anyone owned or put together a AR10 with a magnum bolt face, bolt. I found some interesting calibers, that are supposed to be a option for a AR10, they all use a magnum bolt. I found some magnum bolts, then found some people are not found of the magnum calibers in AR10s.

Wondered if anyone has any experience with such a combo?

Some more info, I have been wanting to build at least one AR10. I originally discovered the 45 Raptor, while building my 458 SOCOM. I thought that sounded like a nice round for a semi auto rifle. Now a few years later, I have found they make magnum bolt face bolts for AR10s. Then chamber them for calibers like the 450 Marlin, which I had never heard of. Then read up on it, interesting caliber. So that has been something, I wanted to build.

Then the more reading I do on that caliber and other large big bore calibers, that are supposed to be possible for a AR10. I have discovered a round called the 358 WSM, or 350/300 WSM, or 350 WSM, or 35 Sambar. Then there is also the 375/300 WSM and a 458/300 WSM.

Then there are 270 WSM and 300 WSM barrels available. I am really thinking I want a big bore, hard hitting round for the AR10. I am thinking that 350 WSM, maybe the 375/300 WSM, would be what I am looking for. If I build one, I need it to be reliable. I already have a AR15, chambered for a hot little round called the 270AR, that is based on a 6.5X47 Lapua case. It's been a really nice little gun. So I have experience with high pressure rounds in ARs. I have found it can be done, but you should be picky on the parts you use.
    I am really thinking I want to build the AR10 or at least one of them into a moose/big bear gun. I think some of those big bore magnum rounds would be very nice. Just don't want something, that winds up being prone to failing. That would make for a bad, big bear gun.

I plan on buying parts soon, I found a nice side charge upper, I like and have found the magnum bolts. But sure would like to hear from someone else who has done one, before buying the pieces to commit to a magnum caliber. I am definitely only using high quality, good 7075 T6 or T7 heat treat upper and lower. I got some beefy 7075 T6 lowers, the uppers I am looking at are also 7075, not sure if they are T6 or T7 heat treat. Not messing around with any 6061 alloy uppers, on a build like this.

The smaller bore calibers, like the 270 WSM and the 300 WSM, are much easier to get barrels for. I am thinking, I may build one of those also. I got two lowers, not sure what I am going to do with the second lower. I have thought about just building a 308 out of the second, since I don't have a 308. Probably the best option for the second lower. But a 270 WSM, AR10 would be interesting, so would a 300 WSM AR10, but then so would a 450 Marlin AR10 or a 458/300 WSM.
    Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 07-12-2021, 08:31 AM.

Comment

KAK does some. It looks like they sell a whole upper.

Comment

I have figured out who makes what. Not found much info on how well the whole magnum calibers in a AR10 works. I have found a couple guys claim, they are a bad idea, that they have problems. I know there are always people who don't like some idea. I have also found posts by a few people, saying their magnum caliber AR10s work great, zero malfunctions.

Comment

Working...
        X