Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Academy and IMR 4064: is this price right? Or is it gouging the consumer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leverhunter View Post
    Talked to the guys at a local gun store, they have people coming through several times a week buying whatever they can. Never been customers before now they pass through 3-4 times a week buying whatever ammo or reloading supplies are available. They are one of the big reasons regular customers can't find supplies at normal retail prices.

I stay pretty well stocked but when I start loading for a new caliber and need a new powder I don't like competing with these guys who have time to hit every gun store in 50 miles. These guys are causing as much of the problem as the new shooters or covid.
    Meh. I stop 1-2 times a day everyday within a 250 mile radius. There’s been ammo on the shf everytime I’ve stopped within the last 2 months. I don’t think I’ve bought anything in 3 weeks now. I’m not after anything in particular for myself, but if something catches my eye I’ll snag it. I am however after 6.5 PRC, 300 PRC, and 28 Nosler for a couple guys on here as well as my rifle builder. I snagged some 6.5 PRC at $38 a box a few weeks ago for my rifle builder. He tests all his rifles with factory ammo, and won’t ship them out until he can test them. He had a couple of PRCs waiting to shoot a factory group until I got him those.

Comment

I bought some bullets 2 weeks ago for 34.99 that were previously 29.99. A couple of days ago I saw them on the website for 39.99. Big price jump.

Comment

Paying $44 a box of 20 for 300 AAC supersonic is pure blasphemy

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
          FYI, I never put all my eggs in one basket
          Whatever, bro

Comment

A thread on the price of a lb of powder has people measuring stockpiles and $ spent at gun stores.

Never change TBH

Comment

I wouldn’t consider it price gouging unless you know the cost that they have to pay.

They could have recently taken a price increase as everything is going up. Academy has specific margins on everything they sell. They are not in the business of price gouging a few items.

Academy is only $$3 higher than Carter’s Country. I would not consider $8 difference from Bass Pro and Academy price gouging. Price gouging is actually only illegal on specific items that are essential. I don’t think the AG would consider powder as essential.I may be wrong.

Bigger things to worry about.
              Last edited by captainsling; 05-23-2021, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                I have three safes, one for gunpowder and ammo, rated 1 hour at 1200 deg. Where is yours?
                You shouldn’t have gun powder stored in a safe, that’s actually a bomb in hiding lol. Gunpowder ignites at 867 degrees, just some friendly safety advice but if that’s where you want it then I’d suggest evacuating a long distance away if your house happens to catch on fire

Comment

Originally posted by Kong View Post
                  You shouldn’t have gun powder stored in a safe, that’s actually a bomb in hiding lol. Gunpowder ignites at 867 degrees, just some friendly safety advice but if that’s where you want it then I’d suggest evacuating a long distance away if your house happens to catch on fire
                  Yep.. Very dangerous. Firemen love these guys...
                  That is why mine is no where near my home.. And not in a safe.

Comment

I almost responded about the making of a weapon of mass destruction. Imagine what 50 lbs of mixed gunpowder including some FFFF blackpowder as the accelerant would do inside a thick steel box. Even 25 lbs would be devastating within a 100 yds.

I keep mine separated in different buildings and stored on open shelves and in less than 25 lb qty. As long as the containers are tightly sealed they last for years. I have some over 30 years old that have not gone sour.

Comment

Are we saying that $8 is gouging? I just cant fathom getting all upset over an $8 price difference. How much is shipping from the Hogdon online store? I bet if you looked at the total price, that $8 is minimal. Really, $8 price difference. SMH.

Comment

Good advice, Kong. I don't have a lot of gunpowder, just enough for when I might need it. But, it is full of ammo. Same principle, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                          I almost responded about the making of a weapon of mass destruction. Imagine what 50 lbs of mixed gunpowder including some FFFF blackpowder as the accelerant would do inside a thick steel box. Even 25 lbs would be devastating within a 100 yds.

I keep mine separated in different buildings and stored on open shelves and in less than 25 lb qty. As long as the containers are tightly sealed they last for years. I have some over 30 years old that have not gone sour.
                          At least one thing I can say about you, you have a great imagination. I never said how much I had. SMH

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                            Good advice, Kong. I don't have a lot of gunpowder, just enough for when I might need it. But, it is full of ammo. Same principle, correct?
                            Kinda, ammo isn’t a huge problem unless you have thousands of rounds stored inside the safe and at that point you will run into an issue. A single pound of gunpowder is a huge problem in thr though. It could absolutely blow up like a bomb. 10 plus pounds would probably level a good portion of the house and kill anyone close by.

Food for thought, most home owners policies will only allow up to 25 pounds of powder to be stored inside the home with some policies not allowing any so if you have a bunch of powder it may be worth checking into that.

Comment

Another TBH thread that's devolved into half the site telling the other half what they're allowed to spend their money on? NICE.

Comment

Originally posted by BigJimmyRustler View Post
                                Another TBH thread that's devolved into half the site telling the other half what they're allowed to spend their money on? NICE.
                                They seem like a bunch of **** communists to me

Comment

Working...
                                X