No announcement yet.

Healthy Amount of Ammo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That’s a question I struggle with as a shoot about 6 or 7k rounds a year in CAS and my wife shot about 60 pigs this year so I’m going through some ammo now. On average though I like to keep 100rds min on hand for every gun I have. On my match guns I keep 3k on hand with resources to load 10k.

Comment

I make sure I have enough of each caliber to last my great grandkid’s lifetime.

Comment

I think I have 10 rounds loaded up for each bolt gun. If they make it out in the field in a years time, it’s a couple of times. I’m trying to keep several hundred on hand for my 2 AR’s for thermal hunting when you can dump a mag real quick.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
          I make sure I have enough of each caliber to last my great grandkid’s lifetime.
          You sir, have the correct answer!

Comment

A box for each caliber and when it gets close to empty I buy another.

Comment

Originally posted by texasproud11 View Post
              Apart from the answer "however many boxes you can afford or find", whats kind of an average amount of ammo (number of boxes) to have on stock for hunting, taking into account you shoot 7-10 animals a year?

I rarely rifle hunt but the 2 rifles I do use are a 6.5 cm and .250 savage. I keep 2-300 rounds in the safe and that’s enough to last the rest of my life for those 2 guns. I always have 1000-2000 rounds on hand of .223 and 9 mm because I shoot them a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've never been a max out how much I have kind of person. But this idiocy happening now has changed my point of view.
                I have enough for normal hunting needs and for my oh **** supply but it's not enough for me to feel comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                  I've never been a max out how much I have kind of person. But this idiocy happening now has changed my point of view.
                  I have enough for normal hunting needs and for my oh **** supply but it's not enough for me to feel comfortable.

Exactly. We are in for some rough times for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Hunting, maybe 20 rounds a year. Up it to 50 if plinking around on a ranch one upping each other.

Load development and then match shooting (when I did) would easily be 2,000+ rounds a year in a single cartridge. Good rule was to buy enough components to get through the barrel. So depending on cartridge anywhere from 900 to 3000 rounds using 300-500 pieces of brass.

Comment

Enough you can sight your rifle in if needed and to whack your furry critters plus another 25 on hand. If I didn’t reload I’d want plus 40 just in case.
                      In today’s times with the unknowns, personally I’d be stocking up on your go to hunting ammo due to the fact the stuff could vanish again at any time.

Comment

Tough answer. I try to keep 10 boxes for each of my hunting rifles. I buy as much 22 and 17 as I can. I have 4 young granddaughters and that is what they shoot everytime they come see us.

I try to shoot a couple times a month with pistol so I easily shoot 100 rounds each time i do that, so I keep a few thousand 9mm and 40 cal on hand.

AR ammo is a different story, like someone mentioned, thermal hunting you can burn some ammo so I keep more than enough for a few months.

My thought process is on hunting, if you change scopes or have to sight a gun in, you could easily use 10 rounds. I shoot at least 10 rounds maybe more out of each gun I plan to hunt with before the season just to make sure all is good. In this day and time, more is better.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I try to keep 4-5 boxes for my hunting rifles, mainly because I know what each one likes and it's hard to get calibers like 257 bob without reloading. All the cheap fun calibers, I keep a decent stock and replenish after a range day. I don't have a basement full by any means, but refuse to be the guy trying to find ammo when I need it.

Comment

Minimum 1 to 2 thousand rounds for each caliber I own. There is never too much ammo when you like to shoot a lot.

Comment

common handgun ammo I have at least 2000 rounds each... 9mm, .40, 357, etc.

223 over 5000 rounds fmj.

7.62x39 2500 rounds.

hunting calibers ie, .243, 308, vmax 223, 300 win mag, 6.5 creed, etc i have at least 250 rounds each.

that's my current inventory.

Comment

So 5-10 boxes is a good range for a hunter and a few thousand for a zombie killer?? 😂

Comment

Working...
                                X